General discussion

Error 3043

By C1980 ·
Error 3043
Have an older program running on a client machine that uses DAO 3.51 to access a MDB on a Windows 2000 Server.

While the program is on the screen and hasn't had any activity from the user for sometime, the comes and error from DAO:

This doesn't always seem to happen, and it doesn't happen on any other Client/Server systems independent from this. So I assume it is a hardware/software/system setting related problem specific to this system and not the program or DAO.

Disk or network error

The following have been considered a causes:

-No enviroment variable for Tmp/Temp directory.
-Not enough local free disk space
-Bad sectors on local hard drive
-Bad cables
-Wrong Net/Server settings

Who can give tell me from their experience:

-What else could possibly cause this, or

-which of the above possibilities are most likely, or

-if it is one of the above possibilities, or something else, can more specifics be given to me

-If it is possibly a Net/Server setting then what settings would that be, (more than likely not a default setting)

This is not directly my field of work, even though I do have some ideas due to the indirectly related work that I do.

I seem to always run into system admins who have little experience, esp. with things out of the norm - very often not their own fault but because a company decided to trade off the experience in order to cut costs, (costly experience goes out, less costly and theinexperience stays), or for something less costly, (costly experience is Replaced by the less costly inexperience), - if I may put it that way, and I think most know what I am talking about.
Hope I don't affend anyone............

Thanks for all the help I get!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Error 3043

by C1980 In reply to Error 3043

Point value changed by question poster.
This is too much asked for only 150 points...

Collapse -

Error 3043

by vigo98 In reply to Error 3043

Do you know if it's a multi user program?
Do other users see the same happening?
What database format is it using and what language is the program written in?

Victor

Collapse -

Error 3043

Sorry, you didn't get back to me for whatever reason. I didn't reject right away in order to give you a chance to respond - no real help has been offered here.
If you find out anything else in the future concerning this problem, I wouldbe very pleased if you could send me an e-mail (CClint@gmx.net) - If it works then I will send some points your way.

Thanks anyways!

Collapse -

Error 3043

For Answer#1:
Thanks for responding.

-Q. Multiuser program - yes. (2 or 3 at the most at this location). Not sure if this is happening when more than one user at a time is using it.

-Q. Other clients having the problem - Not sure - will find out ASAP!
(Note: as I meant to be understood above, users on other Win 2000 servers at other locations - even when several users are using the program at the same time, have never had this error happen - therefore I do not think the problem is related to the db, DAO or program language - all use the same installation, have the same version, and the MDBs are repaired/compacted frequently.

-Q. Database format/program language - doubt if this has something to do with it but the db is a MDB and the program is written in VB6 using DAO 3.51/Jet.

Collapse -

Error 3043

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Error 3043

Hi,

No doubt you've seen the following microsoft article regarding your problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q175755

(remove spaces from the above URL)

...because you've already looked into the TMP and TEMP environment variables...

BUT... is the client a win2k machine? is the TMP and TEMP environment variable defined as a system or user level environment variable. Thats something to try, anyway.

Make sure the user running the thing has the rights to write to that directory too!

You've checked disk space, but I wonder if there's some bug with DAO that tries (unsuccessfully) to write to the temporary directory to an existing file? ie. one it created before.

Next time it happens look in the temp directory for newly created files and see if there are any.

At least if you do that you'll know it isn't due to not being able to write there... but if there is nothing in the directory after the problem then you'd probably be asking youself why not?

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

Error 3043

No bug with DAO here.
I knew about the temp variables but didn't know about the possibility of making 2 different scopes with it - system and user level. Even though this didn't help out, it widen my own scope of knowledge.
If you findout anything else in the future concerning this problem, I would be very pleased if you could send me an e-mail (CClint@gmx.net) - If it works then I will send some points your way.
Thanks for the input!

Collapse -

Error 3043

by maxwell edison In reply to Error 3043

This message appears when one or more conditions has significantly reduced the speed at which data is transferred on the network. In particular, the presence on the network of Norton Utilities or Norton System Works has been known to cause this problem and may even make the network unusable. Disabling these programs may eliminate this problem. NOTE: Uninstalling these utilities may be also required.

Maxwell

Collapse -

Error 3043

Another possibility:

You do not have a Temporary (\Temp) folder on your hard disk.

RESOLUTION:
To resolve this problem create a folder on the root of your hard disk named "Temp". For example, from a MS-DOS command prompt, type the following and press ENTER:

MD C:\TEMP

Where C is your hard disk drive letter.

Maxwell

Collapse -

Error 3043

Another possibility:

After changing the locale (Control Panel / Regional Options or Control Panel / Keyboard) and restarting your computer, you may experience:

An access violation error message.

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service becoming disabled.

The inability to connect to network resources.

When you right-click My Computer and press Properties, the Full computer name on the Network Identification tab is correct, but if you press Properties on that tab, the NetBIOS name is displayed as underscore characters.

The problem occurs when the computer name uses a different language than the current locale.

Either re-enter the computer name using the current locale or change the locale.Maxwell

Collapse -

Error 3043

You must have the following valid statements in the User Environment Variables list in your System folder.

TEMP = drive:\TEMP
TMP = drive:\TEMP

where drive is any drive with available space for temporary files.

The System folderis located in the Control Panel folder. The TEMP directory must be defined in the User Environment Variables list in the System folder.

To direct the initialization process to write to the TEMP or TMP directories:

Create the TEMP directory to which the statements refer.

Ensure that the statements are in your User Environment Variables folder.

Restart your workstation.

Initialize again.

Best of luck and have a GREAT 2002!

Maxwell

Back to Windows Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next