General discussion

Error 629

By jharold ·
When trying to establish a dial up network connection with another computer both WIN98 SE platforms, I get an error 629. When I dial the same computer with a WIN95 computer, the connection is fine. HELP! I need an answer to this and fast.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Error 629

by earnest In reply to Error 629

Microsoft says:When you attempt to create a Dial-Up Networking (DUN) connection that uses 128-bit data encryption, you may receive the following error message:

Error 629: You have been disconnected from the computer you dialed.
Double-click the connection to try again.
You are unable to install the 128-bit version of the Windows 98 Dial-Up Networking Security Upgrade (Msnt128.exe) file.

NOTE: When you double-click the Msnt128.exe file, you receive the 128 bit encryption for Dial-Up Networking (Not for Export) dialog box. When you click OK, you quit the Msnt128.exe program.

CAUSE
This issue can occur for either of the following reasons:

You installed Windows 98 Second Edition after you installed the 128-bit version of the Windows 98 Dial-Up Networking Security Upgrade files.

NOTE: Windows 98 Second Edition includes a newer version of the 40-bit DUN files that replace the 128-bit DUN files.

The 128-bit version of the Windows 98 Dial-Up Networking Security Upgrade works only with Microsoft Windows 98 not Windows 98 Second Edition.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, install the 128-bit DUN Security Upgrade for Windows 98 Second Edition from the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/128bit/intro.htm/

Additional query words: vpn

Regards:
Bo

Collapse -

Error 629

by jharold In reply to Error 629

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Error 629

by jharold In reply to Error 629

This question was closed by the author