General discussion

Error 721

By thinknologist ·
How to resolve this:

A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client <WAN IP ADDRESS> has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47). Verify that the firewalls and routers between your VPN server and the Internet allow GRE packets

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Error 721

Start reading so you can do your homework:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/tk287/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Collapse -

by bm In reply to Error 721

This answer, despite being a reference to a useful backgrounder, won?t help.

I am now in a separate office, trying to establish VPN connections back to the ?Head Office?. I tried this yesterday, from two different locations.

The results were different and arbitrary. Today from the same LAN, two connections were successful, yet one, (from the laptop currently being used) failed with the server Event: ?A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client xx.xx.xx.xx has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed.?

Yesterday, one remote connection failed, but yet another location succeeded.

So this problem is NOT CAUSED BY GRE PROTOCOL SUPPORT, or external firewalls, or routers. This is MACHINE SPECFIC. Most of the machines were running XP Pro SP2 one was running SP1. The SP1 was successful, as were most SP2 machines.

Any other ideas?
Brian

Collapse -

Error 721

by irvingf In reply to

I'm a Netowrk Admin for a clinic, we upload our transcription daily and i have come to realise that my problem, which is similar to the one your having was caused by TrendMicro. My suggestion would be to check your antivirus that claims to have a firewall built in it. Try it and let me know if it works.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)