General discussion

Error 781 No Valid Certificate W2K VPN

By mark.tassin ·
I have probably 50 VPN users who connect to a PPTP VPN server (Win2K sp3). All of them are fine except for one.

This user, when he launches the Connectoid for the VPN he immediately ( as in the moment it displays anything) gets an error 781 No valid certificate error.

Thinking it might be trying to negotiate L2TP, I opened the connectoid and set it to only negotiate PPTP. When I do this, then the connectoid complains about no available modem.

I've checked IP filtering rules, IPsec settings, etc. I can use VNC to take control of this remote machine (which connects via dialup), but no matter what I do, I cannot get the VPN connectoid to do anything but error out.

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mark.tassin In reply to Error 781 No Valid Certif ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Error 781 No Valid Certif ...

Remove the VPN software. Reboot. Reinstall it.

Make sure his security settings are valid and see if he can VPN in with another computer that you know is working.

If the problem follows the computer, then something is going on with either the computer hardware or computer software.

Try the users login and password on your computer and see if you have any problem. If you do, then you need to check the users configuration/profile and match the account with the group and password and see if you can get it all working locally. If his VPN user profile works fine on your system, then it's something on his end.

Is he going through a firewall? Does he have personal firewall software on his computer? Are the proper ports open? Is the modem working both ways? Can he dial anywhere else and at least connect to the Internet?

There's also a possibility of the telephone wire being bad where he's at (static on the line)... and/or the phone number for VPN being used too heavily. Are there other phone numbers he can try?

Collapse -

Actually the solution which was determined by another user was to upgrade the modem drivers. Why that had anything to do with the VPN *shrug* I have not a clue. But after the reboot the user popped right into the vpn as if nothing had been wrong.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)