General discussion

Error in GWIA : 503 need rcpt

By r_hernandezjr ·
No outbound email getting through, but it is sparatic. Sometimes we get no in or outbound, and a 450 host down error. Using 4.11 and Groupwise 5.5 with enhancement pack.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by grbeckmeyer In reply to Error in GWIA : 503 need ...

My first thought is that you should check the server while the problem is happening. From the server, load ping and try pinging some public IP's by both number and name. For example, try to ping 192.233.80.9 (Novell) If that works, stop that ping and try pinging "novell.com". If you can ping the number but not the name, that definitely falls in with this info I found on Novell's knowledgebase...

The gateway had been functioning correctly for some time - 3 days ago, the errors started occurring. Through some troubleshooting we found that the daemon was sending out the messages but they were being sent back straight away with the response errors.

As it seemed that the error was not being caused by the gateway, the customer contact their ISP and then discovered that the ISP had changed the name and location of the specified DNS host for this customer. We edited the Resolv.Cfg file to reflect the changes to the DNS & restarted the gateway and daemon. The customer could now send internet mail without error.

Collapse -

by r_hernandezjr In reply to Error in GWIA : 503 need ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

checked the ping routine and was able to ping by ip and host name. i also looked at novell's site and tried the .cfg file, but i still get the same errors.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)