General discussion

Error joining XP Pc to Windows 2003 Domain

By venkatm76 ·
I just finished instaling windows 2003 R2 Ent Server.
Followed with installed DNS and when proceeded to install Active directory during the last step it prompted with DNS error for dynamic updates though nonsecure dynamic updates were enabled.So allowed the wizard to correct the same.
Now I am not able to make a XP pc join to the windows 2003 domin.
I am getting the error either the PC is busy or not reachable.
I am able to ping the server from the XP pc,
I have give the same DNS address in XP pc as in server,
Did dcdiag /fix and it gave no error's to
I am stuck any help
Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by 3xp3rt In reply to Error joining XP Pc to Wi ...

For give you a precise answer I need more info. Is there DHCP installed? What role have your server? How many servers have your organization? ? And an other think. XP machine?s DNS adress most be the server adress, and not the same adress with the server.

Collapse -

by venkatm76 In reply to Error joining XP Pc to Wi ...

No there is no DHCP installed.
The DNS is installed on the same server which hosts the active directory.
The server has a Static IP address.
I have given the XP machine the DNS Server IP address(which is same as the active directory server)
This is a test environment and has no role.
Hope the same makes sense

Collapse -

by Blue screen In reply to Error joining XP Pc to Wi ...

What is your ip address on the client pc?

Configure DHCP then authorize DHCP , something like start address (if your server is 192.168.0.1 then start your address at 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, right click scope options select router on the server name type in your server then click resolve should give you your server ip address, and one more scope option right click select dns then on the server name type your server name click resolve should give your server ip address, then close DHCP now check your client pc ip address if you see something like 169.x.x.x you should renew to get your ip address from your DHCP scope if you get a valid ip address then join the domain and should work.

Collapse -

The Client XP PC also has a Static IP address.
Still now I am not able to connect the Xp pc to the Domain, When I try, it asks for the username/Password, I give the admin details, still it gives error's

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Error joining XP Pc to Wi ...

when you run the Network Identification wizard and enter a user name and password, what is the error you get? note: default install user name for the administrators account is "administrator" and whatever password you created during the server installation.

Note: If you have to enter a user name and password then your at the least connecting to the server or you would get a network not found error.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

Note: XP Home can't join a domain without a registry hack.

Collapse -

The client is XP Professional with service pack 2.
It is able to detect the domain as when I give the option to join the domain, when i give a wrong domain or user/password the error is domain does not excist or password incorrect respectively.
Here what I get is unable to join the domain.
I am using the server admin user-id and password only for joining to the domain
I am going crazy over the same.

Collapse -

More Input
When I try to join the XP pc to domain
"The following error occured attempting to join the domain:nocl.com"
Windows cannot find the network path verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off

The NetSetup.log is also added
07/13 11:27:11 -----------------------------------------------------------------
07/13 11:27:11 NetpDoDomainJoin
07/13 11:27:11 NetpMachineValidToJoin: 'ENGINEERING'
07/13 11:27:11 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
07/13 11:27:11 NetpMachineValidToJoin: status: 0x0
07/13 11:27:11 NetpJoinDomain
07/13 11:27:11 Machine: ENGINEERING
07/13 11:27:11 Domain: NOCL.COM
07/13 11:27:11 MachineAccountOU: (NULL)
07/13 11:27:11 Account: NOCL.COM\administrator
07/13 11:27:11 Options: 0x27
07/13 11:27:11 OS Version: 5.1
07/13 11:27:11 Build number: 2600
07/13 11:27:11 ServicePack: Service Pack 2
07/13 11:27:11 NetpValidateName: checking to see if 'NOCL.COM' is valid as type 3 name
07/13 11:27:11 NetpCheckDomainNameIsValid [ Exists ] for 'NOCL.COM' returned 0x0
07/13 11:27:11 NetpValidateName: name 'NOCL.COM' is valid for type 3
07/13 11:27:11 NetpDsGetDcName: trying to find DC in domain 'NOCL.COM', flags: 0x1020
07/13 11:27:11 NetpDsGetDcName: found DC '\\nocl-s1.NOCL.COM' in the specified domain
07/13 11:27:11 NetUseAdd to \\nocl-s1.NOCL.COM\IPC$ returned 51
07/13 11:27:11 NetpJoinDomain: status of connecting to dc '\\nocl-s1.NOCL.COM': 0x33
07/13 11:27:11 NetpDoDomainJoin: status: 0x33

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to Error joining XP Pc to Wi ...

Hi

This may be of some help. I had a similar problem last year and eventually resolved it.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=39&threadID=175979&start=0

Good luck

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to

Hi again

Have you tried completely removing the XP machine from the domain? Join it to 'Workgroup', reboot, then follow the instructions I gave in the other question on how to join the machine to the new domain using the FQDN of the PC.

Also, if you are still getting references to the old domain in your DNS server, you need to make sure that none of your other workstations contain references (i.e. are still members), of the old domain. If any machines are still members, they will 'pollute' the DNS server. You should also open the DNS snap-in in Active Directory and make sure that there are no records of the old domain name existing (assuming the domain name you quote is no longer used). Remove them if there are.

As I said, this caused us a lot of problems (because I know very little about DNS).

Check your DNS event logs on the server and search for errors. Make sure that the SOA record exists. If it doesn't, then most of what you need to do can be achieved through right-clicking in the DNS consol.

Good luck

Back to Windows Forum
18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next