General discussion

ev 700 monitor

By uglygarbage ·
my monitor displays the test logo when i restart or shut down. during shut down it will delay 30 seconds before it goes on standby. it will appear even for a few seconds if i restart my pc. I asked gateway why and they said the monitors do that now.i have never seen that. as any one seen it and is there a why to stop that monitor self test during this process. i do know that unconnecting the cable will show the test but my cable is connected and it still does it.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

by cmatt77 In reply to ev 700 monitor

Nothing about this monitor that can do that. Understand that while the machine is on, you are literally looking at a representation of RAM memory in your video card. In your case:
1) Shutdown: Windows has a fix posted for shutdown hang at http://support.microsoft.com
2) Startup: Newer PC's have "soft power off" that holds the power on to "some" circuitry on the motherboard. It appears that the RAM is holding it's "last state" at startup.
Verify: After powering down, unplug the PC for a couple of seconds, plug it back in and you may see garbage on the screen instead.
(this would signify random data in RAM).
Electronically, what GW2K said was UNTRUE!!
That whould have been similar to the function of a $10,000 storage oscilliscope!

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

Sorry I didn't offer a brighter view, to try to stop the screen mess:
1) Buy a video card (your present card is either on-the-motherboard or disfunctioning)
2) Find the LOGOS.SYS file and edit it with a graphic editor. Erase the "It is now safe to shut off your computer" and re-save.
3) If it's a PCI video card, change the slot and/or clean the contects on the card).
4) Check your PC's BIOS to see if you have any unusual power or suspend functions set.
5) Change video driver (www.windrivers.com)
6) In Control Panel> System> Device manager> System Devices> Advanced Power Management: You may have to force APM 1.0 mode for your particular system. (advanced case)

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

by uglygarbage In reply to ev 700 monitor

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

It's getting late... I obviously didn't read well and I went on a wild tech tangent!
Startup: For some period of time, your video card is in a state where the monitor cannot sync to it. (this usually has to do with polarity of the horizontal and vertical sync signals sent to the monitor)
Shutdown: The monitor could be slow at entering into it's power saver mode, or, the PC could be displaying the shutdown message with illegal sync polarity. Try another video card, you may be surprised...

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

by richard_barsby In reply to ev 700 monitor

Hi I am not sure about the EV700 but with some monitors this time is adjustable in the settings of the monitor. The display is to let you know that the monitor is powered from the mains just in case you turned it on by accident or that you have forgotten to turn it off when you turn off the PC.

Hope this helps

Rich

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

Collapse -

ev 700 monitor

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)