General discussion

Event ID 1003

By tom.day ·
Is there any good (read simple and effective) way to research what causes 1003 errors in the Application logs of servers. I seem to get them all the time on certain machines, but the text in the event is fairly worthless. I'm getting this one every minute on one box:
The object length of an object returned by Extensible Counter DLL "usrPerf" for the "SHM" service was not correct. The sum of the object lengths returned did not match the size of the buffer returned. Performance data returned by counter DLL will be not be returned in Perf Data Block. Count of objects returned is data DWORD 0.

I know that the SHM service has something to do with a 3Com System Hardware Monitor, but I can't find any service called SHM, and even renaming a system file (shm.sys) did me no good. This is just the latest example--I get these events on lots of machines but it's always a different service and it's always something that is impossible to find!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Event ID 1003

by calves In reply to Event ID 1003

You can access the Technet web page3 at www.technet.com and search for 1023. I got quite a few returns. My gues is that you'll have to do a little be of reading.

Good luck!

Collapse -

Event ID 1003

by tom.day In reply to Event ID 1003

I'll give you half credit because you validated what I've already been doing...seems like I'm always reading technet. Was just hoping I was missing something.

Collapse -

Event ID 1003

by calves In reply to Event ID 1003

Soory the right web address is http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.asp

C.

Collapse -

Event ID 1003

Collapse -

Event ID 1003

by mikeheitz In reply to Event ID 1003

Yeah, Technet is the only way to go when researching these things... I spend about 10 hours per week on it... Have fun!!!

Just do a search on 1003... Not the whole error message. If you type in the entire message, it may not come up with any hits. Just putting in the #, will bring up any Technet doc that has 1003 in it, so there will be a lot of things that are not related to what you are looking for.

Collapse -

Event ID 1003

I'll give you half credit because you validated what I've already been doing...seems like I'm always reading technet. Was just hoping I was missing something.

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)