General discussion

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

By kj_r ·
i've got the described system event logged on my PDC (SJAK001PDC), the computer name varies and i got so much number of this event like this on the server daily.

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer WKS-JAK-1001 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_iANSMiniport1. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced."

i could have just taken the solution - "From djames@mlgl.co.uk on 11/13/00 09:31 AM EST: This question was closed by the author"

but the problem is that the subnet of PDC (SJAK001PDC) is 255.255.255.0 while subnet of workstations is 255.255.254.0

is there any workaround i can do?

thanks in advance!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

by c1959j In reply to EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

This event may be genereate in various conditions - some of them are not errors per se. For example a PDC is started and it will send announcements to the network that it is the Master Browser (a PDC is always the Master Browser). In this case, the existing Master Browser will generate an 8003 message in the event log. Sometimes, an improperly configured computer (i.e. wrong subnet mask) does not detect the existing Master Browser so it announces itself as the Master Browser. Check out Q143153 from Microsoft about event id 8003. You may simply need to correct the TCP/IP protocol configuration to the correct subnet mask.

On the other hand, you may have a router that is forwarding UDP broadcasts.

In Windows NT, each subnet will have a master browser. If the router(s) forward UDP broadcasts up to UDP ports 137 and 138, then the election broadcasts from one subnet are being forwarded to other subnets.

Bridges or switches between two dissimilar network segments within the same subnet can also cause this problem.

Make sure your router(s) are not forwarding UDP broadcasts and enable WINS or lmhosts for netbios name resolution.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

by kj_r In reply to EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

by Gel In reply to EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

I suggest that don't down the server as this is will happen from a network whch has multiple pdc. because they believe that they are the master browser during the time that it boot up. so the os elect itself automatically to become a master browsereven there are other master browser on the network. If you still insist ot annoyed by this error you need to configure your hub to have a virtual circuit so they wont affect to each other.

hope this help

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

by Nbard In reply to EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

I had a similar problem and all I had to do was dump out a reg file to change a registry setting on the computers to not participate in a browser election and to not be a master browser. If you would like, I can look up the reg entry for you.

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

by Nbard In reply to EVENT ID 8003 on PDC
Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

Collapse -

EVENT ID 8003 on PDC

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum