General discussion

Event Log Error 8003

By McCabe ·
We have several subnets divided by routers. We get hundreds of the following error daily from a computer within each of the subnets. Im sure this is causing unecesary traffic on my lan and I want to know if it's as simplae as turning off the browserservice on the desktops in each of the sub-nets. Here's the error I get in my event log on my PDC every couple of minutes

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer CAL007 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_El980n41. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced."

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

by winssuresh In reply to Event Log Error 8003

From the Event ID you can Find which one is Forcing the Election. U need to stop the browser services and edit the registry entry.
Check for the follwing:
In regedt32,
goto
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\services
Browser \parameters
Edit the following keys:

1.IsDomain Master... Make it False
2.maintainserverlist make it No
this would resolve the member servers forcing a election

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

by McCabe In reply to Event Log Error 8003

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

by tmaclennan In reply to Event Log Error 8003

When you enable File and Printer sharing for each user, a new `network component called "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is entered into your Network configuration. If you open that, you will see an element called Browse Master, andthat is defaulted to Automatic, with other options of Enable and Disable. The Browse Master is the PC on the network which keeps track of the names of all PCs and Servers which are announcing services on the LAN. A PC set with Browse Master set to Disable won't bother looking for nodes offering services, it will just ask the Browse Master. A PC set to Enable will insist that it is the Browse Master, but won't force an election. A PC set to Automatic will, on power up, loudly insist that it is capable of being the Browse Master and that it is time for every other PC to elect it Browse Master (forcing a computerized election). Now, since any server will serve as a browse master by default, the best answer is probably to set Browse Master to Disable on all your clients. This will be reduce the overhead on your network by quite a bit.

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

by tmaclennan In reply to Event Log Error 8003

I would suggest that you build this into the steps for setting up a new computer before deployment. Actually, we do it differently. We use a policy to disable file and print sharing on all puny user PCs, so this issue doesn't come up.

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

by joshg In reply to Event Log Error 8003

Answer 1 will work, go with Answer two - easier.

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Event Log Error 8003

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)