General discussion

Excel 2000 Spreadsheet Comparison

By Shanghai Sam ·
I am looking for a utility that will compare each row in two spreadsheets and out put a third spreadsheet of the rows. The output options are: 1. The content of first spreadsheet is copied to the third spreadsheet cell by cell in each row so that the cells that are different are high-lited in a pre-set color. 2. The content of second spreadsheet is copied to the third spreadsheet cell by cell in each row so that the cells that are different are high-lited in a pre-set color. 3. The same as options 1 & 2 except that only the rows with cells that are different will be high-lited in a pre-set color & output into the third spreadsheet. The input spreadsheets are more than 20k to 40k rows with 10 to 30 columns in length. Some spreadsheets are 10 times more rows. I do not have any options to receive this data in another format. The Vendor only output Excel xls format. The end user attemp to validate the accuracy of the data by eye-balling every line/row.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Excel 2000 Spreadsheet Comparison

by brian In reply to Excel 2000 Spreadsheet Co ...

I can't say this will positively do that but I think I saw that feature in the following program. This is a 30 day trial program that I tried recently. I didn't like it well enough to buy but It may solve your problem.

http://www.
capitalintellect.net/
indexlg.htm

Collapse -

by dayflea In reply to Excel 2000 Spreadsheet Co ...

Unfortunately you don't specify which of the spreadsheets you wish to compare against the other (does that make sense), also if one is longer than the other, then it isn't possible to compare like for like.
Do you need to compare all the columns or just some of them?

Anyway, I would suggest that you insert a column into each of the two spreadsheets (into a new Column A). Then you could enter a value into this column that is replicated/copied for every row where there is data (i.e. in Spreadsheet 1 you could have FILE1 and similarly in Spreadsheet 2 you could have FILE2.

From here you could either copy the contents of one onto the other, or of both into a third blank spreadsheet. You could then sort the values based on any or all of the columns that you are attempting to analyse using the Auto-Filter option.

Another option would be to export both the spreadsheets to an Access Database (ideally using the addtional data field as suggested earlier) and then generating a report which produces line breaks when there is a change in any or all of the field values.

Without knowing what type of data you are trying to analyse it is a bit hard to give much more advice.

Regards!

Back to Desktop Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)