General discussion

Excel 2002 Cell Formatting Problem

By rpeeples ·
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered.

In Excel 2002, why does it automatically reformat a certain number to Date format?

For example, I am entering the number 02-04-2031. This is a part number, not a date even though it "looks" like it could be a date. It must have the leading "0" and the dashes.

I can change the cell format to "General" but when I enter the part number it changes to "2/4/2031". I can also change the cell format to "Number" but it changes to "47883".

I have looked in the options in Excel and I don't see anything to change. I have also looked on Technet.com, no help there either.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anybody might have as to a work around for this problem.

Thanks!!!
Russell Peeples

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Couple of ways

by awfernald In reply to Excel 2002 Cell Formattin ...

1. Format the cell as text.
2. Format the cell as numeric BEFORE entering the data.

Collapse -

Already tried...

by rpeeples In reply to Couple of ways

I have tried formatting both before and after entering into the cell. It seems Excel changes it however it wants to.

Collapse -

Also

by Jessie In reply to Already tried...

Since this is a part number and probably not numeric data that has to be manipulated, I'd reccommend formatting the cell as text, or typing a preceding ' in front of the number, i.e. '01-01-3019. This way Excel will TREAT it as text and not change it's format.

Collapse -

Tried that also...

by rpeeples In reply to Also

I have tried the ' and formatting as text. According to the person who is using the spreadsheet, it needs to be formatted as general or number to be searchable.

Collapse -

Wrong forum

by deepsand In reply to Excel 2002 Cell Formattin ...

This is a tech. problem, in search of a solution.

It properly belongs in "Technical Q&A," not in "Discussions."

Please re-post there.

Thank you.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)