General discussion
March 19, 2003 at 07:52 AM
aaron_wurthmann

Exchange 2000 disabling a mailbox\user

by aaron_wurthmann . Updated 23 years, 5 months ago

Environment: Windows 2000/Exchange 2000, patches for both up to date.
Background: Yesterday we let go of 1/3 of our workforce, today some of the managers need mailbox access to the accounts that are now disabled.

Granted manager same as SELF permissions to mailbox. Mailbox can not be opened by manager. I try to open mail box. I granted myself god like permissions on the Exchange server IS during install. 😉 I can not open their mailbox either I get an error that says the that the information store can not locate the mailbox.

So I think to myself “This must be due to the status of the mailbox”, so I re-enable the mailbox and change the password to something long and random, expire the account with todays date, set the user must change pass at next log on feature. Tried to open the mailbox and… got the same problems again. I tried about a half an hour later and got the same results.

When I checked an hour later the mailbox was able to be opened. hmmmm….

What am I missing? Why can’t I re-enable a mailbox on the fly? Can I speed up whatever process is causing this? Did I even have to re-enable the mailbox? Any light you can shed on this mystery will help me sleep tonight.

This discussion is locked

All Comments