General discussion

Exchange 2000: HELP ME!!!

By thesasse1 ·
Alright Exchange gurus,

I'm trying to set up my Exchange 2000 server. I've previously been able to set up the beta version and it worked fine. I kept the same settings, but Exchange 2000 will only half work. I can send mail from inside my network to the outside world, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why I cannot receive mail from the outside world to my network. Using the message tracking, I can see that my email makes it to my Exchange box all the way until it gets to the advanced queue, which then fails and spits out an NDR.

I read that Exchange 2000 needs DNS set up in order to run, but I did not run into this when I installed the beta version. I installed DNS on this server, listing itself as an MX server. I think I have done this correctly... Any thoughts??? Thanks guys!
RAchEL

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to Exchange 2000: HELP ME!! ...

Exchange2000 does not DNS on the server to work, but it does need AD and DNS on your network. Here is the common situtation for Exchange 2000-
You have installed Active Directory and DNS. Exchange 2000 is installed into the domain and its DNS server is set to the DNS server used by Active Directory.
Make sure your DNS server can query and resolve external addresses. The SMTP connector in Ex2K can also be set to pass internet mail off to a SMTP relay. Check with your ISP, if you can do. This removes your Exchange and DNS servers from the burdon of resolving MX records and delivering mail to the appropriate host.

Collapse -

by thesasse1 In reply to Exchange 2000: HELP ME!! ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to Exchange 2000: HELP ME!! ...

Yes!, exchange needs dns configured properly in order to finish the setup instalation, but when it ends, you have to change in the tcp/ip properties the dns tab in order to set the internet dns the first in the order and your company dns the second in the list.
In order to receive e-mails you need to:
- Have the same IP address in your server as the demo version.
- Be sure to be able to open a telnet session from internet to your email server at port 25 (eg: telnet 129.12.45.22 25)
- Definein your exchange, your internet address in order to allow the server, to receive email for this (list_of_hosts). This option will lock your relaying features for others domains.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)