General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Exchange 2000 in a NetWare Environment

by cyberpuppi ·

I could use some help with this problem. My client is running a NetWare 4.1 environment, and has a third-party mail server. They want to put their mail on an Exchange server to utilize the full-functionality of Outlook. If I install Exchange 2000 ona Windows 2000 server, will it work in this environment, and if so, how do I configue it?
    If there is some documentation available, where can I find it?

TIA,
    Curt Kamichoff

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by cyberpuppi ·

In reply to Exchange 2000 in a NetWare Environment

Point value changed by question poster.

by erikdr ·

MS has docs on how to use Exchange in a NW environment. It works, though they don’t always give the best advice…
      A few steps:
      1) Make sure all users have TCP/IP, next to IPX which is probably used in NW4.
      2) Either users have a separate logon for Exchange next to NetWare, or you will have to implement a kind of directory solution bridging both. E.g. Novell DirXML, or Microsoft ADSync. Probably better try initially without, those solutions can be painful to implement…

For the rest, configuration is standard ADS/W2K/Exchange 2K. Users just happen to have two requesters on their workstation, the Novell one for NW4 and the (default) MS one used to connect Exchange…

Hope this helps,

– The Netherlands

by rbgnr111 ·

If the client is running netware already, I would at least suggest looking into groupwise. it will cost them less than having to get 2 servers to run exchange 2000 (one active directory server, one exchange). If they really like the outlook interface groupwise will work with it, there is a plugin that will make it fully functional.
      If you install exchange 2000, It would require a second login, for the nt ads/exchange, unless you where to use dirxml or nds for nt.
      novell has documentation onthese here
      http://www.novell.com/documentation/

by cyberpuppi ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads