General discussion

Exchange 2000 in an NT Network

By cblanken ·
How should I go about integrating a Windows 2000 Server running Exchange 2000 into my NT 4 network? Should I create a separate domain for the W2K server and create a trust relationship with the NT domain or do I need to upgrade the remaining serversto W2K implementing the Active Directory structure across the board? If I can leave the rest of the network as is it would be best at this time. If this is a reasonable option, what is the best method to go about doing so and where might I find somein depth technical help with the merging of the two domains?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ross.bale In reply to Exchange 2000 in an NT Ne ...

Setup your 2000 Server as an Active Directory Domain Controller - bear in mind that DHCP must be on the network somewhere and your existing DNS must support Dynamic Updates for Active Directory (if not, you need to migrade the DNS to 2000 - NT4 DNS is not compatible). Ensure that you are very happy with the Active Directory structure - Exchange relies on the active directory and it's not easy to change it once implemented. Ensure that 2000 server is running in Mixed Mode. Setup an explicit one way trust from NT4 to 2000 for the two to play together, then migrate from NT4 servers to 2000 at your leisure to switch to pure 2000 native mode. Technet should help - there is some stuff from a Technet briefing I could email you on migration onNT4 to 2000 and Exchange 5.5 to 2000. Ensure that all Exchange 5.x accounts are linked to one domain account on NT4 otherwise this will cause problems with migration to Exch 2000.When you install Exchange 2000, there is an option to just extend theschema - DO THIS before you populate the active directory with users as this will save a **** of a lot of time when installing exchange, then, when you have populated the active directory, install exchange - email me if you need any more help or want a copy of the technical stuff.

Collapse -

by cblanken In reply to Exchange 2000 in an NT Ne ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by cblanken In reply to Exchange 2000 in an NT Ne ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)