General discussion

Exchange 2000 install

By HNGLIDE ·
My understanding of classic firewall arrangement is DMZ area should hold computers with open ports to the internet like Web server, Email server etc. A client of mine contracted to a 3rd party to install Exchange 2000, and 3rd party is installing the server inside private network and asking me to open port 25 to internet. Is this a standard thing to do with exchanged or should exchange server be on DMZ and AD push replication from DC be set up? Microsoft link describes opening several ports from DMZ to private network, also a bad thing, I thought:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q280/1/32.ASP&NoWebContent=1

I do networks w/ AD, firewalls, IIS, WANs, etc, but not exchange so any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 install

by Darthkim In reply to Exchange 2000 install

It seems like all they want is SMTP to be routed through the firewall.

Though it is a common practice, i would not recommend it. It is rarely ever a good idea to allow a public connection to connect directly to a internal server. I would create an SMTP server in the DMZ to relay emails, rather than handling any direct SMTP connections.

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 install

by HNGLIDE In reply to Exchange 2000 install

Thanks, verifies what I thought.

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 install

by ewgny In reply to Exchange 2000 install

How about using ISA server to "publish" the internal exchange server. Check out www.isaserver.org

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 install

by ewgny In reply to Exchange 2000 install

Some people leave their exchange server on the DMZ with no internal access and only use OWA

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 install

Thanks for the idea.

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 install

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)