General discussion

Exchange 2000 Private Store Permissions

I'm looking for a way to prevent users from creating new folders under their Exchange 2000 mailbox on my server. We'll be providing training that 'directs' them not to, but I want to keep them from doing it anyway. Which, of course, they will try todo. Is there a way to prevent the creation of new folders in addition to the default mailbox folders in Exchange 2000?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Exchange 2000 Private Sto ...

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't want people to create new folders in their mailboxes? All this does is give them a method of segregating and filing their saved emails (vs. having to search through 1500 emails in their (single) Inbox folder). Creating new folders (in and of itself) does not increase the size of the mailbox.

The only thing I can think of is to create .pst files for each user and set their email profiles to deliver email to Personal Folders.

Collapse -

The reason for preventing users from organizing their emails in a hierarchical structure under the Exchange mailbox is due to the 16GB size limitation inflicted on us by private information store in the Standard version of Exchange 2000. Now before you say, "But wait, just upgrade to Exchange Enterprise edition and all you woes will be set aside", let me add that that isn?t an option at present. So, given what I have to work with, I need to support 300+ users with only 1 Exchange Standard edition box and a measly 32GB RAID5 array. My solution was to create a separate .pst file for users to organize their files under. They will, however, undoubtedly try and create a folder scheme directly under the Exchange mailbox and then wonder why they can?t send or receive email once they hit 40MB. Users routinely carry 500MB to 1.5GB of email in their .pst files here. It?s the blowback from a multi-site corporate network being run almost totally in a peer-to-peer manner. Outlook has been the onlyfile transfer medium readily available to them for a couple of years now. So, by preventing them from being able to create that new folder called June in their Exchange mailbox, I?ll eliminate frustration for them and a lot of administration work for me when their email stops working due to quota. That will leave me with much more time to deploy file & print servers at each facility and migrate all the desktops into the new Windows 2000 domain structure.

Collapse -

by savatovic In reply to Exchange 2000 Private Sto ...

I agree with Tim Walsh. There is no need to prevent users from creating subfolders of their own mailboxes.
However, you may try to reconfigure Outlook or some other mail client. You may block connection to Exchange server using RPC and IMAP4 protocols and allow only POP3 for downloading mail and SMTP for sending mail. POP3 does not allow the use of subfolders.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)