General discussion

Exchange 2000 Retrieving POP Mail?

By bruce ·
I have installed Exchange 2000 as a test on my home network, and I would like to know if I can configure a connector? to allow me to download email from my dial-up POP account at my ISP. I do have a domain hosted by Tucows, that forwards any email to my ISP.

The ISP started talking about a "secondary SMTP" service as being my only option. That would include a static IP address.

Do I need a static IP or can I just dial-in?

Thanks,

Bruce

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Mikel~T In reply to Exchange 2000 Retrieving ...

if you have a domain name setup for your home network, an MX record with your ISP would resolve this, but I'm assuming you don't have a permanent internet connection at home. With the MX record, all email would be routed to your static IP, and thento your server.

On the other hand, you can setup an SMTP virtual server to go and retrieve your email from your ISP using SMTP commands, but you will need to set this up with your ISP so that they know to hold all of your email until the virtual server makes the connection, and requests the retrieval of your email. This is definitely a more advanced feature of Exchange 2000.

My recommendation is for you to just add a service/account to your mail client for POP3, so you don't have to worry about fighting with your ISP.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Collapse -

by bruce In reply to Exchange 2000 Retrieving ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to Exchange 2000 Retrieving ...

Exchange Server (any flavor) does not have a POP3 connector. There is a POP3 connector included in SBS 4.5 and 2000, but will not work on the full Exchange products.
You can get third-party POP3/SMTP connectors/services.
Check out www.exchangefaq.com for a list. I have used one called IGetMail, which works good, easy to configure and was only $60, but if you look you can find some freebies. (IGetMail has a 30day eval to see what you think)

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)