General discussion

Exchange 2000 Server Address Lists

By billc124 ·
I have an address list setup under the All Address Lists category in Exchange that was setup through the Exchange server using the Find Exchange Recipients LDAP query wizard. The problem I am running into is that fromtime to time, people will disappear from this list, and it will have to be recreated to put them back on it. My boss does not want to create a global distribution list, which I have tried to explain is a much better solution. He does not want everyone in the company to be able to use the
list, that is why the Address list was setup instead of a golbal group. My question is two fold. Number 1, what do those of you who work for large organizations do to create lists and restrict access to them? and Number 2, what is the best way to restrict access to a global
distribution list?

Thanks, for any help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BrettH In reply to Exchange 2000 Server Addr ...

In Exchange 5.5 you can create Address Book Views, which allow you to display recipients based on a specified attribute of the mailbox. ie, you can say the mailboxes are displayed in categories based on most fields on the general tab of the mailbox and the custom attribute fields. Permissions can be assigned the same way you do with Public folders so only a specified group of users can use the address book views.
A quick search in Technet shows that this also exists in Exch2000, but is now called address lists:
"Address book views provide an alternate view of the global address list. They are defined at an organizational level and automatically replicated to all servers. In Exchange 2000, the address book views are called address lists and are built using Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) queries."

You should be able to do something similar in Exch2000. Not exactly what you were asking, but this should steer you in the right direction.

HTH,
Brett.

Collapse -

by BrettH In reply to Exchange 2000 Server Addr ...

Quote is from Chap 3 of the Exchange 2000 Server Resource Kit.

Collapse -

by billc124 In reply to Exchange 2000 Server Addr ...

That is exactly what I have done. That is what I am having the problem with. The people will disappear from the list periodically.

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to Exchange 2000 Server Addr ...

I have setup an Exchange server that way, I did it for a company that proivdes all the Technoligy needs for all the offices in a large office building.
Since every office has multiple users, you want everyone to see every user in thier office. But you don't want them to see users from other offices. It's all on the same Exchange Site.
This is how I did it.
I removed the Authenticated User and everyone group from the permissions list on all the Address lists.
I gave every office a unique value for Custom Attribute one (I used custom attributes, but you can use an value that is unique for what you need).
I created one Global Address list (not address list but GAL) for each office, filtered on the values in the Custom Attribute. I made sure that it doesn't inhert the permissions. Removed out the authenticated user and everyone group. I added the Organization Unit that belongs to that office and gave them the list item and open address book permissions.
I also created one GAL that has no filter on it and gave permissions only for the administrator.
The result:
Each office sees a GAL that only shows address belonging to thier office.
The administrator can see everyone.
BTW, You can also use this instead of using the Hide From Address Book feature. Since the administrator wants to be able to see all mailboxes this is much better than hiding the user from the address list, which means it doesn't show up anywhere regardless of the permissions on the GAL and or address book.

Collapse -

That is not exactly what I asked for. What I need is for only certain people to see a global distribution list in the GAL. How exactly do I accomplish this?

Collapse -

Look's like you didn't bother to go thru my answer it's all in there.
You do it by the permissions you set up. If you remover the permissions for one person and grant it to another, only the second person will be able to see that GAL.

Collapse -

You said that you created a GAL. What I want is to create a Global Distribution Group and only allow certain people to see it and send mail to it. Your solution is not exactly what I am looking for. If you can elaborate on how to do this for a Distribution Group and the solution works, the points are yours.

Collapse -

The same thing works on any address list in Exhcange.
I'm just wondering if you tried my suggestion at all. Since if you just read it you right away understand that it will work on any address book.

Collapse -

Can you elaborate on the Custom Attribute stuff, that is kind of where you are losing me in your answer.

Collapse -

In Exchange Address list and GAL's you can base your LDAP query on any attribute that exists. I used the Custom Attribute, but you can use anything (i.e. Company name, Department).
Custom attributes is just a place to enter any additonal info for that user.

Back to Software Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next