General discussion

Exchange 2000 server redundancy

By flaguardia ·
for example i have 2 exchange server-Server1@test.com & server2@test.com. I have a mailbox at server2 which iam@test.com. of course if server2 is down and somebody email me i cannot receive the email because server2 is down. Is there any other way that i can received email even if server2 is down or is their any other way that server1 can get my email if server2 is down.?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by [_Rick_> In reply to Exchange 2000 server redu ...

This can only be done via Windows 2000 Advanced Clustering and Exchange 2000 Clustering. In this scenario you have two separate 'boxes' that share a common data storage.

This proivdes load balancing across two separate 'boxes (A&B)' and also fault tolerance - if 'box A' goes offline all users on 'box A' are automatically transferred over to 'box B'.

The key here is that you are sharing a common storage solution where the database(s) is residing. Such as a Storage Array Network.

This provides hardware redundancy against the server boxes and software redundancy aginst the OS and Exchange application. It does not provide redundancy against the databases (priv.edb -.stm and pub.edb -.stm). To accomindate for this you will need to ensure that the storage array in use has built in redundancy for power supplies, controller cards, drives, write back cache, etc.

On the 3rd party side Legato carries a product that is typically used with Co-Location. It allows you to mirror one server to another location. It does work with Windows Clustering and will provide an extra level redundancy for the private and public databases (web store).

Collapse -

by flaguardia In reply to Exchange 2000 server redu ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rene In reply to Exchange 2000 server redu ...

You can use WIN2K & E2K Hardware Clustering Solution or you can use a Third party solution. This will Mirror your existing WIN2K/E2K infrastructure. They would be a mirror, with the same names as your production. So when things totally die due to natural disaster you can flip the switch and email is still functioning.

Thank You,

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)