General discussion

Exchange 2000 setup

By TDisher ·
Exchange 2000 setup or configuration: 1) Dedicated link to internet being setup. Connecting router/firewall to hub on our network. Exchange 2000 is setup on the domain controller. Consultant wants to use Exchange for internal e-mail only and setup POP3 in Outlook 2000 on all clients and they will get their own POP/SMTP mail from the ISP. They say Exchange will create a hole in security and pose a major risk to network. If you want Exchange to get all e-mail, it should be on a separate network on the other side of the router. I do not feel this is correct. I would like more input on this.

I would like to have Exchange on the domain controller and send/receive all mail (internet & intranet). The mailboxes will then be stored onthe server and backed up. I can also use Norton to scan for viruses. This makes more sense to me, or am I wrong and Exchange will create a major security loophole.

Thanks for your help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 setup

by gideon.holdway In reply to Exchange 2000 setup

Exchange 2000 should not really be put on a DC - it should have LAN speed connection to a DC and global catalogue, but Exchange 2000 is very process intensive. Also, using a DC will complicate disaster recovery. It all depends upon how many clients you are supporting.

I don't see that you a compromising security, as long as the Exchange 2000 server is on the secure side of your firewall - and the firewall is properly set-up.

Having the clients connecting to their ISP and Exchange 2000 does seem messy - again, especially if there are many clients. It would be better to have the Exchange server pick up the mail: the feasibility of this will depend upon your ISP's set-up. This will be simple to implement if you can have the ISP store and forward the email to your Exchange server over SMTP. You will then need to configure a route through the firewall for SMTP to the Exchange server.

If you do have the clients operating POP3 and Exchange 2000 connections, you can still configure it so that the messages are stored in Exchange - the only difference will be that the client does the retrieval.

Hope this helps.

Gideon.

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 setup

by TDisher In reply to Exchange 2000 setup

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 setup

by TDisher In reply to Exchange 2000 setup

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)