General discussion

Exchange 2000 SP3 Installation..

By KutubSB ·
well guys..my exchange 2K server is installed on win2K server (SP 3 installed) where i m tryin to install Exchange 2K SP 3. when i select UPDATE on COMPONENT SELECTION screen it gives me error : YOU MUST HAVE EXCHANGE FULL ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS or SETUP IS UNABLE TO ACCESS THE WINDOWS 2K ACTIVE DIRECTORY or FAILED TO CONTACT THE SCHEMA MASTER SERVER FOR THIS ACTIVE DIRECTORY FOREST. I m having exchange full administrator rights, AD Connector upgraded successfully and my exchange is running so smoothly so i cant think about other 2 errors. what should i do?
IF YOU WANT I CAN SEND SCREENSHOT (jpg format) SO YOU WILL GET BETTER IDEA..

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Matt Duggan In reply to Exchange 2000 SP3 Install ...

There are a couple of pre-requisites for running SP3:

1. You need to be an Exchange Administrator (which you already are, so that's not it)
2. You need to be a Schema Administrator, because it makes a minor change to the schema
3. You need to be a local administrator on the server in question
4. Your operations masters need to be reachable and functioning - if the RID master is missing, or the Schema master is down/unreachable, you will get this error

I'm picking that you aren't a Schema Admin, or that the Schema Master is down - check those first.

The fact that you got the ADC to work smoothly though makes me wonder...

Collapse -

Bounce me some feedback, and we'll see if we can't figure this one out nice and fast. I'm also wondering what (if anything) has changed since you put the ADC in.

Collapse -

by KutubSB In reply to Exchange 2000 SP3 Install ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

well Matt thanx for your answer first. User is already Schema Admin, Local Admin and nothing has been changed (no errors) since i installed ADC. Windows 2K server (where exchange is installed) is also Global Catalog Server and schema master. According to Exchang 2K SP 3 release notes I have to install ADC bfor installin SP 3..rite?? and i did. waitin for your answer/comment. (provide me your E-mail so i can send that error's screen shot)

Collapse -

Email me the pic at lurgen at mira dot net, and I'll take a look at it.

You only ever need the ADC if you're migrating from Ex5.5 to Ex2k. ADC is just a tool for synchronising Active Directory with the Exchange 5.5 Directory Service.

What service pack level is your Ex2k server currently at (both Win2k SP and Ex2k SP). If you aren't at SP2 for Exchange, I'd consider applying it - it won't bring you up to the right level of service pack, but it would at least prove you have the appropriate levels of access. I've seen strange error messages before from a corrupted download of service packs.

Another important thing to check is your DNS. I know it sounds strange, but remember that DNS is how your server find services like Global Catalog. It's a guess, but we'll see what comes to mind when I see the screenshot.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)