General discussion

Exchange 2000 Swapping Servers

By Bee Jay ·
I have an exchange 2000 server limping along in my organization. We have had the worst luck with this (probably because we aren't all that experienced with Exchange), it was a 5.5 server that we upgraded (failed in middle kaboom!) to 2000. I've aquired a newer machine that I would like to introduce to the organization as a new Exch. 2000 server and remove the original one? I've heard that removing my first server can be disastrous, but can't find any info on what's involved in Adding a server to my organization or removing a server from my org. Is this very hard to do?? My thought is to build the new one with a new IP address (added to my zone record as an addtl exchange server) move mailboxes to it from the original server then takethe original server out back and shoot it? Could someone shed some light on the decomissioning and adding process for me..?? Thanks much in advance...
BjP

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Exchange 2000 Swapping Se ...

adding Exchange servers to networks is very much like adding in DC's. You can add an Exchange server in, replicate data, promote it, then remove the offending servers. Technet has a very informative writeup on Installing Exchange 2000. {see: Chapter4 Deployment Guide, Installing Exchange 2000] [http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/guide/deploy/d_04_tt1.asp] {remove brackets if copy and paste is used}

Collapse -

by Bee Jay In reply to Exchange 2000 Swapping Se ...

Thanks DR, i've actually read that technet article several times, it was part of the plan we used when we initially upgraded from 5.5 to 2000. I especially love the way they list out the steps as 1. Preparing, 2.Installing, 3. Backing up and 4. Recovering from a failed installation, and we ended up following they less step #3.. :-)
In this article they talk about installing exch 2000 on a site with another exchange server, they refer to the other server only as a 5.5 server and make no mention of installing a server on a network in which a 2000 server already exists. Still leaves me in the same boat, put the install disk in and see what happens.

Collapse -

Installing with an existing Exchange 2000 server isn't anything more that knowing what routing and admin groups to use because this won't be an initial installation. The Wizard screens will direct you to pick routing and admin groups.

Collapse -

I make it sound easy and it's not. It's nerve wrecking at best, cuz the troops will be up in arms if they can't get their mail and boo you in the hall way while throwing paperwads at you.

Collapse -

The tricky part of exchange comes in adding it to subdomains, or subsequent installations where you have to do a domainprep and forestprep so that the Active Directory schema is extended to the subsequent Exchange installation. For information concerning those type of installations, I suggest you try www.exchangeadmin.com [Windows &.NET Mag, Exchange & Outlook Administrator].

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums