Question

Exchange 2000

By hmarine ·
I setup my exchange server as a class prodject
but I am stuck.

What do I have to do to receved and send outside mail using my exchange server 2000?

can someone please help, very new at this.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Nothing

by Churdoo In reply to Exchange 2000

You don't have to do anything or much else to exchange itself to send/receive email.

You do have to put the server on a public IP, either directly or inside NAT'd through a router (or port forward port 25 on a SOHO router appliance).

You have to do things in DNS. In the pub DNS zone of your exchange server's email domain(s) (email domains specified in the Recipient Policies), add an A-record pointing to the Pub IP, and add an MX record pointing to the A-record.

Your exchange server should now send/receive email.

Now for best practices however, if you created a connector for your outbound email delivery, and you should create a connector although 2000/2003 do not force you to, go to the properties of that connector / Address Space tab showing the * address space / make sure the checkbox at the bottom is NOT checkmarked ... I forget what the box reads, but checking it on the * address space makes you an open relay, so make sure you clear the checkbox.

Also, in the SMTP virtual server properties / third tab I think, make the FQDN field match the name of the A-record you created in the public DNS zone.

Obviously there's a lot more to exchange server than these paragraphs, but I don't want to do all of your work for you and this should get you to send/receive email.

Post back specific questions if you need to.