General discussion

Exchange 2003 address space

By simon ·
Hi all,

What do I use for address space in a routing connector, I currently have '*' and that allows me to send emails from outlook, but I changed it to '*mainaddress.co.uk' (which would be our email address (incoming)) but that just bounces back the emails I try to send with a DNS error.

I want to make sure no-one can use us as a relay to send spam.

while our email address is one thing our domain email (internal email address) is something else, I have tried both but can't get it to work and wondered if someone might have some ideas on how to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by acattr In reply to Exchange 2003 address spa ...

You sound a little confused. All relaying options can be found under the default smtp virtual server(exchange system manager, admin group, org, servers, servername, protocols, smtp, properties, access tab, relay).

If your company acquired a second domain name example mainaddress.co.us and wanted your exchange server to accept inbound email for this domain you go to(exchange system manager, recipients, recipient policies), add a new one or edit the default policy) Obviously the MX records would have to be updated for that domain to point to your exchange server.

If you have exchange 2003, research something called recipient filtering. By default your server will accept email for anybody@mainaddress.co.uk. With recipient filtering on exchange will instantly reject the email when talking to other smtp servers, when the address doesnt exist in AD. Hence the sending server does the NonDelivery report, not your exchange server.

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)