Question

Exchange 2003 inetinfo process memory leak! URGENT!!

By itsupport ·
Good day. Today my Exchange 2003 server slowed down immensly due to the inetinfo.exe process using up ALL the memory. The CPU usage is minimal, but the available physical memory goes down to about 20Mb! If I end the process (which is in actuall fact IIS), it stops and starts the relevant services and it only uses about 30Mb of memory. Then it climbes within seconds up to in excess of 600Mb. I've rooted the issue to my Default SMTP virtual server - if I stop this, it returns to normal. As soon as I start it, the same thing happens. I've read up and it seems like its pointing to a virus doing this, but my Trend Neat Suite shows no viruses (even after updating manually both pattern and DCS and running cleanups across the network and on the servers). ANY HELP - I cannot start the SMTP virtual server and no-one in my organisation can access their mail! URGENT

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

It may not be SMTP but IMAP

by slpits In reply to Exchange 2003 inetinfo pr ...

I have the same problem and have escalated the problem to Microsoft. They tell me that the leak is caused by IMAP not SMTP. The tech that I am working with believes that it is a time-wait problem. I see the large number of time-wait states as a symptom not a cause. That is all I can get out of Uncle Bill. What I believe is happening is that a new IMAP client is running amok. The time corresponds to the 2.0 Firefox release and the IE 7 release. Since OWA is really a web version of an IMAP client, IE or Firefox with OWA could be the cause.

Collapse -

SMTP Resource Leak

by computermatrix In reply to It may not be SMTP but I ...

We are currently experiencing the same problem. We currently have what seems to be a form of DoS attack. There are litterally 10000 emails pinging our smtp every 10 minutes. The messages state that they are coming from msa.hinet.net. I do not beleive our problem to be related to imap. I stopped the imap service and tried running our virtual smtp again and the same resource drain occured.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)