Question

Exchange 2003 Install problem

By Gordinho ·
I'm trying to install a third instance of Exchange 2003 into an AD that already has two Exchange servers installed, however, If I run setup, I get the "The component exchange Msg and collab services couldn't be assigned the action install...you don't have sufficient perms in the domain. An admin must either re-run setup /domainprep or create a US for this domain"

As far as I can see, the underlying OS prerequisites are configured correctly, the NT account I'm using is the one used to create the initial exchange install and the only thing in AD that is likely to have changed since the install of the 1st exchange instance is the addition of a Blackberry Ent Server which I'm guessing has extended/altered the AD schema.

I'm nervvy about re running the setup /domainprep in an already functioning exchange enabled AD (as the error msg implies I should do)

any exchange gurus out there, cheers in advance for any pointers you can offer

G

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

so, you installed the Windows server software

by CG IT In reply to Exchange 2003 Install pro ...

patched it up, then joined the server to the domain as a member server, using the domain admin account, then tried to install Exchange using the domain admin account? If not, try that.

note: assign static addressing on the nic for the exchange server making sure that the domain DNS server is the first DNS server listed.

Collapse -

In addition to what CG replied

by Churdoo In reply to Exchange 2003 Install pro ...

running the "setup /domainprep" is a valid action. This will analyze your AD and will restore any Exchange-related permissions that inadvertantly got dorked along the way.

I understand it sounds risky but I've also had MS Support direct me to do same in related scenarios with EX2K3 and EX2K7 and has solved the problem.

Collapse -

/domainprep

by Gordinho In reply to In addition to what CG re ...

@cg, yeah process you described (with NIC as static IP) = no joy and I tried with the exchange admin account that the previous IT guy had setup and I get the same prompt when running setup

*shrugs*

@churdoo, ok, am gonna bite the bullet and try running the domainprep switch

I just wish I could tell if the Blackberry Ent server screwed the AD schema for subsequent exchange installs. I don't like "Suck it and see" approaches you know?

cheers for looking in people, I'll post back if that sorted it :)

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to /domainprep
Collapse -

user account

by jjjj12212 In reply to Exchange 2003 Install pro ...

Make sure your the DOMAIN Admin if you install something domain wide, I saw a few of my own noobies running setups with their own user accounts which does not work that way, make sure your the Administrator, where you have the power over everything

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)