Question

Exchange 2003 offline defrag procedure

By jm1964 ·
Good Morning,

I hope you all are well. I'd like to ask for some advice regarding an offline defrag of an exchange 2003 database using eseutil. It's my first time and I want to ensure I have the correct procedure.

Database size is ~80 GB and saved on the D drive of an exchange server. I plan on creating a defragged copy of the database on another networked server named 'utilities'. Once copied, I plan to delete the original priv1.edb and priv1.stm files and replace them with the smaller defragmented edb and stm files from the other server. Then rename.

Through my research on MS' support site, these are the steps I need to take.

1. Dismount mailbox store from the system manager

2. from the command line, run: >eseutil /d /p "d:\program files\exchsrvr\mddata\priv1.edb /t"\\utilities\utilities server\tempdfg.edb"

3. Once the defrag completes and the new database is created on the utilities server, delete original edb and stm files on exchange server and then add the new files and rename them to priv1.edb and priv1.stm

4. In the system manager, mount the mailbox store

Please let me know if this sounds correct.

Thanks

Jason

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You're OK but you don't *need* to use /p

by neilb@uk In reply to Exchange 2003 offline def ...

I suppose that you are either suitably paranoid and want to do an integrity check on the compacted database or you aren't in a position to do a cold backup of your database files once the Exchange is shut down. You'll find it faster to just avoid disabling the instanting and let Eseutil replace the old database. It will be very slow with the temp db on another server, though, with or without /p!

Have you confirmed how much whitespace you're going to get back? Check the Application event log for Event 1221. You're looking at a day's downtime so it might be worth seeing if the benefits are there!

Neil :)

Collapse -

thanks for your response

by jm1964 In reply to You're OK but you don't * ...

checked event 1221. 1,305 MB free after the online defrag.

We have three former employees with email boxes ~8GB each. I've removed them from the system manager, but I assume I will not see the full results without the offline defrag.

If I use an external USB hard drive instead of writing the database across the network, would it make a noticable speed difference?

Thanks

Jason

Collapse -

Chill out for a while

by neilb@uk In reply to thanks for your response

Depending on your setting for "deleted mailbox retention", it could be a month or more before they are gone!

Keep checking 1221 until you see the white space appear and only then are you going to get the benefit of the defrag.

A local USB drive is going to be slow, as well. 80GB defrag will be measured in hours, anyway you cut it, though.

:)

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)