General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Exchange 2003 Queue SMTP issues

by ehoffman ·

Some mail is not making it out, new to Exchange and 2003. This is Exchange Server 2003 on SBS 2003. Was sending mail fine the first few days. Now, I look at the queue and there are a ton of domain names listed with Retry and a few messages for each. Look in the log, nothing unusual. The message when you highlight the domain name is the remote server did not respond to the connection attempt.

All this in queue, but the queue folder itself is empty when I look in it. The bad mail folder has several messages.

SMTP TCP 25 is open on the firewall so it can send fine technically.

Any ideas, next steps? This is huge to me.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Exchange 2003 Queue SMTP issues

by oldefar ·

In reply to Exchange 2003 Queue SMTP issues

Two thoughts on this. First is to check your timer for a response, perhaps it is too fast. I am afraid I can’t point you to a specific setting for Exchange.

The second is that your domain has been blacklisted. Some of the mail services that do spam filtering (either as onsite add ons or as relay services) have been careless with their response to sobig.f, and treated the domain of the spoofed sender address as the real source. You might want to call some of the admins of domains that aren’t responding to see if your domain is blocked. You can use whois.net to find a contact name and number, and they should be able to either help or point you to their email admin or the service they use.

by ehoffman ·

This is a brand new server, and to our external servers for a web host that don’t use such lists…so not blacklisted. When we send new mail it gets trapped, when responding, its fine. I think it boils down to DNS at the firewall being blocked even though I opened port 53. Ideas?

by mprovenzano ·

Check to make sure you are not set up as an open relay, if you are; chances are that your domain may have been blacklisted.

by ehoffman ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads