Question

Exchange 2007 with some recipients on another server?

By sagewah ·
Argh...

Suppose you're setting up SBS 08 for a group that uses and external POP3 server for their email, with individual client PCs downloading directly. The logical thing to do would be to use the pop3 connector to download the mail to their exchange accounts, which I've done.

Also suppose that you're looking forward, so you configured exchange to think it is the authoritative server for that domain. Which works.

So - you have the external mail server, which is mail.contoso.com; and the exchange server which -thinks- its contoso.com . Works pretty well; all users have user@contoso.com and user@contoso.local addresses set by policy and they can happily mail each other without having to go through the external server.

The problem is that they have a couple of external users who download their mail from the pop3 server. So we have joe@contoso.com who is on the other side of the country connecting to the external server to get his mail. Unfortunately, because exchange thinks its the authoritative server for the domain and Joe doesn't have an account, it just returns an NDR to any internal users trying to email him.

To make it more interesting: I have absolutely no control over Joe's config, the server doesn't have a static IP, and I doubt they'd let me open the firewall to allow mail traffic anyway.

Only solution I can think of right now is to set up an account for Joe, have it forward all mail to an external address (joe@gmail.com, for example) and then have -that- account forward all mail to joe@contoso.com.

There has to be a better way, but I'm new to exchange 07 (took me a long time to get used to 03, too) and I'm having a hard enough time just finding my way around the console, much less working magic.

Does anybody have any better ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Forward email with unresolved recipients to ... (smarthost)

by Churdoo In reply to Exchange 2007 with some r ...

This was a setting in Exchange 2003 SMTP virtual server properties / Advanced which did exactly what you're looking for. I'm looking to see if a similar setting/functionality exists in EX2K7

Collapse -

Correction

by Churdoo In reply to Forward email with unreso ...

The Exchange 2003 SMTP virtual server properties / Messages tab contained the "Forward email with unresolved recipients to ..." setting, not the Advanced tab.

Doesn't look like this setting/functionality exists in EX2K7. Does the existing external POP server accept mail for joe@mail.contoso.com? and/or can you make it so? That being the case, workaround could be to create an alias for Joe to forward email to joe@mail.contoso.com and a send connector to send email @mail.contoso.com to the external smarthost.

Collapse -

Found it!

by sagewah In reply to Correction

Under org config - hub transport - accepted domain, select the external domain in question and change the role to internal relay. Did the trick :)

Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -

You didn't read about the limitations on SBS did you

by CG IT In reply to Exchange 2007 with some r ...

Exchange 2007 with some recipients on another server?
Argh...

Suppose you're setting up SBS 08 for a group that uses and external POP3 server for their email, with individual client PCs downloading directly. The logical thing to do would be to use the pop3 connector to download the mail to their exchange accounts, which I've done.

Nope not if I could help it. SMTP all the way.

Also suppose that you're looking forward, so you configured exchange to think it is the authoritative server for that domain. Which works.

Again, nope. I would not have an Internet facing Exchange server act as a Bridgehead or front end on a SBS network. For that matter I would not have any SBS DNS service as the authoritative DNS server for the domain name.

So - you have the external mail server, which is mail.contoso.com; and the exchange server which -thinks- its contoso.com . Works pretty well; all users have user@contoso.com and user@contoso.local addresses set by policy and they can happily mail each other without having to go through the external server.

The problem is that they have a couple of external users who download their mail from the pop3 server. So we have joe@contoso.com who is on the other side of the country connecting to the external server to get his mail. Unfortunately, because exchange thinks its the authoritative server for the domain and Joe doesn't have an account, it just returns an NDR to any internal users trying to email him.

This is the point where you realize that if you configured routing and remote access on the SBS box and the remote user uses a VPN connection to remote into the SBS network, the problem goes away. Or for that matter, Use Outlook Web Access or heck even Remote Web Workplace. All three provide remote users access to their email.

The rest below... well....... nothing to say about that.

To make it more interesting: I have absolutely no control over Joe's config, the server doesn't have a static IP, and I doubt they'd let me open the firewall to allow mail traffic anyway.

Only solution I can think of right now is to set up an account for Joe, have it forward all mail to an external address (joe@gmail.com, for example) and then have -that- account forward all mail to joe@contoso.com.

There has to be a better way, but I'm new to exchange 07 (took me a long time to get used to 03, too) and I'm having a hard enough time just finding my way around the console, much less working magic.

Does anybody have any better ideas?

Collapse -

I forgot this part....

by CG IT In reply to You didn't read about the ...

See, this part is where you get a little wonky. If you have a remote user named joe@Contosco.com and you have a SBS domain who's public name is contosco.com [doesn't matter if the local network is .local, .wonko, or .wobegone, he should be able to get his mail addressed to joe@contosco.com. because the contosco.com is the company's domain name and SBS has been configured to use that for external mail.

Collapse -

thanks for..

by sagewah In reply to I forgot this part....

Thankyou. I'm aware of everything you've stated; having that server actually be the primary MX is the long term ideal. However, I'm forced to do things the way they've asked for against recommendations.

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)