General discussion

Exchange 2K OWA - 401 Unauthorized

By achen2002 ·
We have Exchange 2K and the OWA used to work, I don't remember since when it stopped working or what change we have made causes that, I will appreciate any suggestion to troubleshoot this.

While accessing the OWA site from IE, it prompts a windowasking UserName, Password and Domain. No matter what account I type in there, it doesn't take it and returns the error "HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized" after three failures.

I am doing this from a computer inside the domain, while it was working earlier, it just brought me straight to the mailbox of the user who I log on as.

Therefore I think the pop-up window which asks for password does not suppose to show up at first place and I know it's gonna fail if I see that.

Even I am convincedthat it will not work, I still *TRY* hard to log on by different accounts, nothing will let me pass that point even I used the Administrator account. So it must not be an authntication issue. I believe there's some setting I should adjust inside IIS Admin, I'll appreciate some hint on this. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by achen2002 In reply to Exchange 2K OWA - 401 Una ...

We have a forest with 3 Win2K domains, totally 6 Exch2K servers. I just noticed that this problem happens in *ALL* Exch server in one single domain but not others in other two domains.

If I made some change on the server to make it not work, I am sure I didn't do the same thing on three servers repeatly, so I guess this must be a domain-wide setting.

However, although I have three Exch 2K servers in the corp that OWA worked for no problem, I was still not able to figure out the problem..

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Exchange 2K OWA - 401 Una ...

Well, I'd start by checking the basics. Make sure that IIS and the Default Web Site (assuming that's where OWA is living) are running and not having any problems. Then, you need to check the permissions both on the web site and the NTFS permissionson the folders. Here are a few articles from the MS knowledgebase that will help you out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282964

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322309

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Thanks for the info but here's how they helped me:

<Link 1>
I skipped it because I don't have any of those error described in this article.

<Link 2>
I didn't think this will work because it's mean to solve problem for a different error, however it doesn't hurt to rebuild something so I just did it.

Applied all three steps and it doesn't work.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)