General discussion

Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000

By pala ·
We have Exchange 5.5 server and Outlook 2000 in our company.
There seems to be limit of 169 (or something) names on a distribution list.
How can I get rid of that limit? Or at least raise it above 2000?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

How about a work-around?

by pottsnet2 In reply to Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000

We have almost 200 accounts on our Exchange server using OL2K clients. Each user is assigned to 1 of 12 distribution lists (their department). We use a single distribution list, that has all of the department distribution lists as members, to send to all reciepients. We have had no problems.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Same Problem Here....

by rich In reply to Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000

I am also running into the same problem at my company using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook.

I am trying to create a Personal Distribution List in the public folders area of Exchange so that my users are able to e-mail to a list of people outside of mycompany (We are a real estate company and want to be able to mail to all Realtors in our board at one time). When adding addresses into the personal distribution list, it allows a maximum of 165 names and gives an error when trying to add more. In reading through documentation, it seems that this is a server limit on Exchange but I can not find out how or where to change this. According to the documentation, there is no limit if I try to create this in my personal folders. I have tried this andit works; however, I can't share this with other users in my personal folders. Also, I can't create it in my personal folders and then copy it to the public folders as the system gives an error when this is done.

OK all you Exchange Techs out there, I need your HELP!!!! I suspect that there is a registry entry on the server that I can add or edit to make this work but....

Collapse -

Use Custom recipients and Exchange DL

by babcock.chris In reply to Same Problem Here....

If you make the External addresses Exchange Custom Recipients rather than Outlook Contacts and Place them in an Exchange Distribution List rather than an Outlook 2000 DL you will not have those Limits. I like to keep DL under 1000 members so that people can edit the list from their outlook client address book and so they take less memory on the server to expand them but it does overcome the Outlook limits.

Back to IT Employment Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)