General discussion

Exchange 5.5 recipients to 2000.

By ratherbfishing ·
I have an Exchange 5.5 server in a NT 4.0 Domain. I have an Exchange 2000 server in a new W2K domain. Because these are different domains and sites, as I understand it, I cannot use a Exchange connector to migrate Exchange 5.5 to 2000.

I have already successfully used Exmerge to move the mailboxes. Now I need a way to move the Exchange 5.5 recipients into 2000. These recipients are in a recipients container, do not have NT accounts, and only used for address lists. I believe the equivelant in 2000 would be Contacts. I know that in Exchange 5.5 there is an Export feature that exports these to a text file. But I cannot figure out how to get them into Exchange 2000.

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Who's the daddy? In reply to Exchange 5.5 recipients t ...

Not quite sure what you're asking here but I did a large 5.5 to 2000 migration. TO get the recipients across I created an Active Directory Connector to join the 2 LDAP directories together. When yo are setting this up, you can specify which information to transfer - the recipients container and in which direction (i.e. from 5.5 - 2000, 2000 - 5.5 or both).

If you already have the mailboxes in the 2000 Information Store it should be relativley easy to pull the recipients across.

The onlything to be aware of is that you might have to do some funky stuff with rights so that the newly created 2000 users (pulled from 5.5 by the ADC) have rights to there own mailboxes.

Collapse -

by ratherbfishing In reply to Exchange 5.5 recipients t ...

Cannot use Active Directory connector with 2 completely different domains/sites. I did discover, however, that with Exchange svcpack2, support for Exchange 5.5 was added to the Migration Wizard for situations like mine.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -

by ratherbfishing In reply to Exchange 5.5 recipients t ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)