Question

Exchange server 2003 - mail, seemingly to certain companies, stays in queue

By mwillingham ·
I am rookie Exchange Admin. I inherited this setup from a sw developer and outsourcing company about a year ago. Often, email sits in the queue for an indefinite period of time and gives no notice of there being an error.

Most of the time, if I reboot the server, it will send the emails and/ or generate errors; sometimes, several days old. Currently, I reboot the server (2003 for small biz) nightly to try to force mail activity, but that is obviously treating a symptom. Force/ unfreeze tend to do nothing, so I am probably not using them correctly.

I have 1.5GB of space on my root drive, but the mailboxes sit on another drive with plenty of space. I have 4GB of memory. I do not know if internal ever gets delayed or not. What else can I check?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Check the sending option

by Dumphrey In reply to Exchange server 2003 - ma ...

on your SMTP virtual server in system manager. Also, check your event logs to see if there are any errors.
Look at the server properties in System Manger, and check the diagnostic logging tab, and make sure that all items in the MSExchangeTransport are reporting at least medium detail to event logs. Will be hard to pin down without more information.
another option is to look at DNS settings and make sure they are resolving correctly.
Also ensure your mail server fqdn in SMTP server (under protocols) matches your public, registered mail server name.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)