General discussion

Exchange warning 9582 w/2.5G RAM

By cj_mcnix ·
HELP!!!!

I have a single Exchange server with 2.5G RAM.
Exchange 2000 SP3
Windows 2000 Server SP4

I am getting a 9582 *warning* message:
The Virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that performance may be affected. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue.

Desktop users complain of slowness in Outlook. Rebooting the server fixes the issue for a week or two.

I have gone to EventID.net and followed along with all the Qxxxxx articles. I have:

1. Installed the last Post-SP3 patch (Store.exe shows version 6.0.6603.0)
2. I have added the HeapDecommit reg entry detailed in Q315407
3. I have set up counters in Performance Monitor as per Q325044, but I don't know what they mean...here are the results:

MSExchangeIS
VMLargestBlockSize 21876736.000
VMTotalFreeBlocks 333.000
VMTotalLargeFreeBlocks 21876736.000

Process Store
Virtual Bytes 1774796800

Removing RAM is an unacceptable answer. This server is also the primary DC. W2K is capable of 4G RAM, so please keep the discussion limited to useful suggestions.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Exchange warning 9582 w/2 ...

Refer to this Experts Exchange dialogue discussing the very same problem. It appears that the solution is indeed discussed there.

A small excerpt from the solution:

....To reduce virtual memory consumption, first ensure that the Exchange server is running Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 3 (SP3); Exchange SP3 has specific virtual memory optimizations. If 9582 warnings are still being logged, then you must perform a registry change. This registry change is acceptable as long as there is an adequate amount of RAM available on the server. Monitor the Memory\Available Bytes counter. Make sure the counter indicates more than 200MB. Change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold to equal 262144.

Continued......

See link:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_20794324.html

Collapse -

by cj_mcnix In reply to

Thank you for the response. However, this was already done. Please see the original post: "2. I have added the HeapDecommit reg entry detailed in Q315407"

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to Exchange warning 9582 w/2 ...

Have you tried this?

MORE INFORMATION
The fix now calls another Microsoft Windows function that retains the feature of the file size being updated, but ensures that new fragments are allocated in 16 MB sizes, if 16 MB has been set in Active Directory as the extension size.

WARNING: If you use the ADSI Edit snap-in, the LDP utility, or any other LDAP version 3 client, and you incorrectly modify the attributes of Active Directory objects, you can cause serious problems. These problems may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server, or both. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that occur if you incorrectly modify Active Directory object attributes can be solved. Modify these attributes at your own risk.

To set the extension size to 16 MB, use ADSI Edit (provided with Microsoft Windows 2000 Support Tools):
1. Locate the storage group which is to be changed, and open its properties.
2. Select the msExchESEParamDbExtensionSize optional attribute. This has a default value of 256. Change this to 4096.
3. After you set the new value, restart the information store. Note that this extension size applies to both the .edb and the .stm files.

Collapse -

by cj_mcnix In reply to

Thanks for answering. The change didn't seem to work. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and call MS.

Collapse -

by dmiddltn In reply to Exchange warning 9582 w/2 ...

Look into the /3G switch for Windows 2000

Collapse -

by cj_mcnix In reply to

/3 only applies to Advanced Server. MS specifically states NOT to use it if running Standard.

Collapse -

by a.grogan In reply to Exchange warning 9582 w/2 ...

IN the boot.ini file, add the /3gb switch (can be found on Microsoft.com) this will stop the message.

Collapse -

by cj_mcnix In reply to

/3 only applies to Advanced Server. MS specifically states NOT to use it if running Standard.

Collapse -

by hughiemcginley In reply to Exchange warning 9582 w/2 ...

Source: MSExchangeIS
Category: Performance
Event I 9582
Description:
Time Date The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that normal operation may begin to fail. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

I found this problem solved on microsoft for you

Collapse -

by cj_mcnix In reply to

No, you didn't.

Back to Software Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next