General discussion

exchange5.5 stdrd-2000 enterprise urgent

By lineeratrogers.com ·
I have a couple of dillema's that I am dealing with. I have just started with a company and have found that they need to move from exchange 5.5 standard to exchange 2000 enterprise What's the best way to accomplish this safely?? Our PDC and BDC are NT 4.0 as is the exchange server.
Secondly, my company(A) just bought another company (B)that is also running exchange 5.5 standard for their own company. how can I get them to join up while still maintaining everyone at company B email addresses??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

exchange5.5 stdrd-2000 enterprise urgent

by McKayTech In reply to exchange5.5 stdrd-2000 en ...

You have a couple of challenges here, but generally the process will be to upgrade the NT4 domain (PDC/BDC) to W2K, then upgrade the OS on the Exchange server, then upgrade the Exchange. The one specific safety measure I would mention is to build an extra BDC before you start the domain upgrade and then take it off-line. If the upgrade goes poorly, you can re-attach the BDC, promote it to a PDC and re-establish your NT4 domain while you figure out what went wrong.

And, of course, have good, verified backups of everything.

The prerequisites for the Exchange upgrade can be found on TechNet (article Q259912) and there are some additional "gotchas" in there so be sure and check for those.

As far as the second question, one option might be the InterOrg Sync tool in the BackOffice Resource Kit.

paul

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)