Question

Explorer.exe CPU usage is 100%

By xMikeIsAwesomex ·
My task manager says that explorer.exe is using between 90-100% CPU usage at all times. The other day i was talking to a friend and asked him about it and he said just end process then click new task and type explorer which i did and it made my CPU usage for explorer.exe go to 0% but then i got on my computer the next day and i was still having the same problem so i did the same thing and it didn't work. And since then it still says that explorer.exe is using between 90-100% cpu usage.

I had 2 Trojans on my computer and i took it to a local computer store and they cleaned it and installed Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot - Search and Destroy.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

One Question...

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to Explorer.exe CPU usage is ...

I'm assuming you are using XP.

Are you using MS Windows Desktop Search or some other third-party desktop search program? If so, try temporarily uninstalling it (not just turning it off).

In addition, turn off Windows Indexing - Open My Computer, right click the C drive, select Properties, and then on the General tab remove the check in front of 'Allow Indexing...', click Apply and OK.

Lastly, go to Start - Run, type 'services.msc' (without the quotes) and click the OK button. In the Services window, scroll through the list and find Terminal Services. Right click on it and select Properties. Change the Startup Type to 'Disabled.' Click Apply and OK. Reboot.

All these steps are easily reversible. If you find that after doing these steps, the issue goes away, then you know the cause.

This was a shot in the dark, but let me know if it applies and helps.

Collapse -

Solved my problem I think...

by techrepublic In reply to One Question...

I've been having similar problems for months. I first noticed this on my old 1GHz P3 XP Pro portable when I was in China. I've since reformatted that one for my daughter and had no problems to date.

When I came home I copied hundreds of photos from the portable onto the HD of my 3.8GHz P4 XP Media Edition tower.

After that, whenever I copied, or moved, or deleted ANY files/folders in an Explorer window, Windows Explorer would lock up. Then I started having the occasional problem on my new 2GHz Core 2 Duo XP Pro portable too!

Searching the web revealed that it was a common enough problem in Win98 but there appeared to be no info available for XP.

I was resorting to using Task Manager to end explorer.exe and restart it.

I came across your reply about an hour ago and immediately turned off 'Allow Indexing...' as it was the most obvious thing to try for my situation.

Everything seems to be OK so far. I can copy/move/delete files and folders without lock-up for the first time since last August! It's early days obviously, but it looks hopeful.

Many Thanks.

Collapse -

Windows Explorer Locking Up

by gretpass In reply to Solved my problem I think ...

This solved my problem with home networked computers that had been plaguing me off and on for over a year. Thank you very much!

Gret

Collapse -

Just Checking...

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to Explorer.exe CPU usage is ...

Were you able to resolve your issue?
If so, what fixed it?

Back to Malware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)