Extending Cat5e Data

By orlandobeatrice ·
Thought you guys might be helpful and resourceful with this.I'd like to find out if there is an item that can extend the cat5 cable. i.e plugging one male end into a socket and being able to get that same data from both sides of the female connector. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You mean like a switch?

by Dumphrey In reply to Extending Cat5e Data

Just buy a cheep 4 port switch.

Collapse -

That seems a bit too obvious doesn't it? <NT>

by OH Smeg Moderator In reply to You mean like a switch?
Collapse -

Jack like connector

by orlandobeatrice In reply to You mean like a switch?

Yes something similar to a switch but probably in the form of a jack. This jack would receive a connection from the cat5 cable and on the female side of it...the double connecters would emulate or feed the same data from that one cat5 jack. i.e video feed

Collapse -

A couple of problems with this approach

by OH Smeg Moderator In reply to Jack like connector

The first is that CAT5 Cables do have a Max Length that can not be exceeded so just applying an Gender Bender and extending the Cable may render it useless and inoperative.

As for a Double Adapter the CAT5 Cables carry very low Voltage Signals and splitting these without amplification will render the signal below the threshold of the Computer connected to it to be able to read the Signals received rendering it useless also.

The only real alternative is to plug in a Switch/Hum which not only allows you to connect as many computers as the Hub Supports but also extend the Cable another 175 Yards.

While there are Double Adapters available for RJ45 Plugs I've only ever seen them used in Telephony Applications where different Pairs of the Cable are used not actually splitting the Signal of a Network or Computer System.

I hope that clarifies things for you.


Related Discussions

Related Forums