Question

External HardDrive Failure - have read 200 ways to revive a harddrive

By mystake ·
A short summary of what's happened to my external harddrive;

Day 1 : it got knocked over, twice.
It had a bit of a rough start, but after a quick shake everything seemed to be working perfectly fine.

Day 2 : I noticed that any folder after T disappeared. Can't create folders that start with T, U V W X Y Z either.
I used windows XP to run the chkdisk or so that says that it will check the disk for bad sectors and try to recover it them.

Day 3 : The Spin up and Clunk noise. Can't get on the drive AT ALL

Day 4 : Here I am today, I've frozen my harddrive and it spins up, no longer clunking to a halt.

I'm not 100% sure where to go from here on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've got some meaningful files that are not worth the 1000's of dollars, but are worth my effort and hopefully yours.

-Thank you
Luc Swenker

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

OEM of HD?

by jc2it In reply to External HardDrive Failur ...

If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive, not necessarily the manufacturer of the External case, then you can download a diagnostic program from their web site. These vary in quality for each manufacturer.

Boot to Knoppix with the HD plugged in. Use Knoppix to pull data from the problem HD to a FAT32 formatted HD or USB key.

Use Norton Ghost to make a copy of all the data and store it to an image file.

Good luck!

Collapse -

Will get on it

by mystake In reply to OEM of HD?

I'll get on it right away.

Collapse -

data recovery for broken drive

by emileeapple In reply to External HardDrive Failur ...

Gillware was helpful and affordable when they recovered the info off of my broken drive. I highly recommend them, if you cannot do this yourself.

<a href="http://www.gillware.com/">Data Recovery</a>

Collapse -

Recovery

by Nimmo In reply to External HardDrive Failur ...

Try Shadow Protect I have used it many times to get data back from drives that can't be read in windows. As long as your disk is spinning you will be able to get your data back using this product.

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)