Hardware

Question

External hd enclosure kingwin+wd 750gb sata hd question

By thienquan ·
Hi,

I bought an internal wd 750gb sata hd. Since I wanted to be portable, I bought a elite kingwin hd enclosure (combo usb/esata interface). Then, I also bought an eSATA expresscard RAID from SIIG, inc. to use it with my laptop. At first everything looks fine. I installed the driver for the SIIG controller card. Then, I connected with my kingwin and was able to format the drive with no problem (I didn't setup the hd as RAID, just a contiguos drive). The initial setup was not a problem. However, the problem encountered right after.

1. I tried to disconnect the SATA cable from my controller card by unplugging the cable (hot swap). I then tried to reconnect but the drive doesn't seem to recognize.

2. I went into disk management and noticed that that drive became unallocated even though I did format it initially.

I thought I did something wrong and went ahead reformatting it again. This time I transferred data into the drive.

3. For some reasons, my laptop froze during the night and the next morning I know I had to reboot the laptop. After rebooting, my drive failed to be recognized in My Computer as well as in disk management (unallocated again).

4. I also noticed something about my controller card (SIIG expresscard). Everytime I tried to connect the drive to the controller card, I had to create a new RAID.

4. I then went and bought an internal SATA controller card -> hooked to my desktop and connected the drive (still unallocated).

5. I tried to scan for files by using my recovery files software and it seems that there are data on that drive.

I have some questions:

1. Why does the SIIG card requires me to recreate a new RAID each time? According to the manual, this card can support both RAID and NON-RAID.

2. Is there a safe way to remove the drive without making the drive goes from formatted to unallocated?

Thank you for your help.

Duc

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge