General discussion

external HDD not working in Win2003

By guptaamit_23in ·
I've a Seagate 160GB HDD in a USB Casing. When I plug it in Win2003, its detected as I can see the icon in the SysTray and it displays USB Mass storage, but the HDD partitions are not displayed in the MyComputer or otherwise. The same HDD runs alright in WinXP on same PC. please help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to external HDD not working ...

Well it has to be a driver problem with 2003 the only thing that I can think of is updating the USB drivers for the M'Board or plug in USB Card on the 2003 install.

You can try going into Device Manager and see if it is seen there about the only possible thing that I can think of the the File Table being FAT and not NTFS. I haven't tried plugging in a FAT external HDD to a 2003 install as all my external drives are formatted in NTFS just so I don't get masses of "Slack Space" on the drive.

Col

Collapse -

by guptaamit_23in In reply to

Well, I don't think its a driver problem, or it wouldn't have been detected. When I click the properties of the icon that appears in the SysTray, it says that the device is working properly. Also in the DeviceManager I see the USB Mass Storage under USB node and expanding it shows the 4 partitions on the drive, its just that the partitions are not shown in MyComputer, so I can't use them.

And btw, the partitions of the External HDD are all NTFS, 40GB each.

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to external HDD not working ...

When this happeded to me I had to open the disk management snap in and rescanteh disks (you will also have to assign a drive letter to it).

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jonno112 In reply to external HDD not working ...

A questions i have to ask.
Do you have any mapped drives?

If you do and even if you don't go in and check disk management Right click my computer > Manage Disk Management > See if it's in there and see what drive letter it,s been allocated.

If it is there change the drive letter to something else.

Collapse -

No, I don't have any mapped drives, I just have 5 partitions on the 80GB HDD that's in the PC and a Nero Image Drive installed besides 3 optical drives.

Collapse -

It worked for me..

by braj75 In reply to

OS had not assigned drive letter to the external hard drive.
I went ahead and assigned the drive letter.

thanks a lot. You rock.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to external HDD not working ...

Well it should be working as you have said that it is already working properly on an XP installation but not on this computer right?

I've run across some LT drives that just do not want to be recognized by 2003 when fitted to USB caddies and that could be the problem but if it is a IDE or SATA it should be working unless you have so many partitions or mapped drives that you have run out of Drive Letters.

Go into the Control Pannel then Administrative Tools then Computer Management and then Disk Management and see if it is listed there. The only time I've ever seen a problem with these drives is when they are not jumpered correctly they should be set to Master or only if that is not available then Cable Select but it shouldn't be working properly in XP if that was the case.

Col

Collapse -

by Marcoparracho In reply to

Yep, the problem was similar to mine, couldn't see the external drives...they didn't have letters assigned...
just want to thank everyone for the tips you provided, as i only registered to say it reaaly works!!
Thanks again, people, have a very good 2008!!
cheers

Collapse -

by Marcoparracho In reply to

Yep, the problem was similar to mine, couldn't see the external drives...they didn't have letters assigned...
just want to thank everyone for the tips you provided, as i only registered to say it reaaly works!!
Thanks again, people, have a very good 2008!!
cheers

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)