Question

Failed wsus clients vista and 2008 server

By rodrandall ·
how do i get clients who have failed updates to install those failed updates.

i know a method which i have personally tried and tested in XP and it works perfectly.

the following procedure works in xp (not for 2008 confirmed it on my server)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

this method works perfectly for Windows XP only.

by rodrandall In reply to Failed wsus clients vista ...

Attempt 1: Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update.

This behavior may occur if the temporary folder of Windows Update has been corrupted. A good example of this is multiple updates will install but a select few always fail.

1. Click Start, click Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotations) and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window to start the Automatic Updates service.

Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter.

Note: Please ensure the Automatic Updates service is stopped before we try to rename the folder.

2. Click Start, click Run, and type in "%windir%" (without quotations) and press Enter. 3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold. 4. Click Start, click Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotations) and press Enter. Please run the command "net start WuAuServ" in the opened window to restart the service Automatic Updates.
[edit] Attempt 2: Start the relevant Windows Update services.

The cause of the issue also can be that the relevant Windows Update services were not enabled. Let us try the following steps to verify the relevant Windows Update services.

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab; please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

6. Please repeat the above steps with another service:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Note: The Startup Type of BITS can be "Automatic" or "Manual".

You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again. If one of the services is missing, please let me know.

After the above steps, please try to run Windows Update again to check whether the issue resolved.
[edit] Attempt 3: Check system files for any corruption.

Open a command window and run "sfc /scannow"

Attempt 4: Clean the registry

1) Install a registry cleaning software. e.g. http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/System_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/Eusing_Free_Registry_Cleaner_Download.html

2) Make a full backup of the registry before trying anything.

3) start the cleanup process with the registry using the software installed to clean the registry.

4) reboot the system after cleaning the system.

Attempt 5: Re-Register Files

1. Click on Start and then click Run, 2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter. 3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK. 4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

o REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
o REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
o REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
o REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
o REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
o REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
o REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Attempt 6: Start Update Manually

you can either start the update manually or wait for the system to do it automatically.

the command to get the updates is "wuauclt /detectnow" go to start -> run and type "wuauclt /detectnow"

note :- this method works perfectly for Windows XP.

is there a way in which i can do this using a script ?

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)