General discussion

Failure to logon (Windows 2000)

By memory ·
The previous IT administrator installed win2k on my MD's laptop. The laptop doesn't boot to windows without a network cable connected to the PCMCIA card. It fails to logon.It doesn't even ask for the username and password. The moment I connect the network cable it then continues to boot and prompt for the username and password.I need this laptop to work without the network cable. What can I do and what is the problem? The MD does't want me to reistall windows.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joe Donahue In reply to Failure to logon (Windows ...

I'm assuming that you can log on once you plug in the network cable. If that's the case try creating a local admin user-log off and log back on as that user then try unplugging the cable and rebooting. Or you can disable the network card and set up a new hardware profile making sure that you check the boxes to 'Wait until you select a hardware profile' and 'Always include this profile when Windows starts' Try rebooting to the new profile. If this doesn't work check that the PCMCIA drivers arethe correct drivers with the latest updates for W2k. If they are,try to completely uninstall the PCMCIA card and reinstall. Double check all of the settings first to make sure you didn't overlook something. If all else fails try replacing the card.

Collapse -

by pierre.alarie In reply to Failure to logon (Windows ...

Use NTFSDOS if your partition is in NTFS to access the content. If you require to render it functional to a certain level do a dir sam and rename the sam file. when you reboot just don't enter a password to the administrator account and press enter.The problem here is that you've messed up all your profiles. There is a hack for the sam also to acquire the passwords but I don't remember what it's called.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)