General discussion

Fatal Execution Engine Error (0x7925dc14

By ss.camaro ·
Problem
I?m unable to launch the Microsoft Media Center. When I try to launch it I get a message that states:
? Error: Fatal Execution Engine Error (0x7925dc14) .
When I click on ?OK? the next message box states:
?ehshell.exe ? Common Language Runtime Debugging Error Service?
?Application has generated an exception that could not be handles?
?Process id=0x7e4 (2020), Thread id=0x3e0 (992).
?Click OK to terminate the application.?
?Click CANCEL to debug the application.?
When I click Cancel to debug the application I get the message:
?Ehshell.exe ? No debugger found.?
Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code 0x2 (2). Please check computer settings.
Cordbg.exe !a 0x7e4
Click on Retry to have the process wait while attaching a debugger manually.
Click on Cancel to abort the JIT debug request.
When I first click on Retry, the whole process would start over. Now nothing happens.

Background on how I got this problem
I believe the problem was is the result of trying to repair a problem using backup software Retrospect ExpressHD which I obtained with a Maxtor USB hard drive. While trying to perform a backup, the program would get stuck with the message ?Updating Status?.

The fix I performed was per the software vendor was provided at:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.269726

I felt comfortable in performing this fix, believing that the restore function in Microsoft XP would enable to be me back in case of problems. Well, I guess I was mistaken; I could not restore the operating system to a point without undoing whatever I changed.

I tried to reinstall the .net Framework 1.1 and 1.0, and learned I needed to uninstall completely and reinstall which I did, but it doesn?t perform a complete installation.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dashX In reply to Fatal Execution Engine Er ...

If you're running WINXP, installing SP2 should resolve this. Failing that, I think Microsoft have also released a Hotfix specific to this issue/error.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Fatal Execution Engine Er ...

Can you boot in Safe Mode?

If so try SFC in the run box and restore all the original system files from the install CD. If that works you'll have to reinstall every patch that has been made available since the install CD was released but it will be faster than doing anything else.

If you can not get Media Centre to run at all and by the sounds of things the USB drive no longer has a valid backup on it you'll have to remove the HDD fit it to another computer copy all the data across and you'll probable have to take ownership of some of the files at least so follow this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

Once you have a safe backup you can then wipe the drive and reload. When you come to use the Maxtor Backup utility again download the latest version of it and make sure that you install it as specified. That should cure your problem.

Col

Back to Desktop Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)