General discussion

Favorite user stories for 2004

By zlitocook ·
We are about to close 2004 and I need to hear your best or worst user stories. These can be a great help when the job is getting the best of you. Just by reading about how some one ether made your day or just shut the IIS server down, can make others smile or just shake their heads and say I know the feeling. Just let me know the best or worst user and I will share mine too.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

297 total posts (Page 1 of 30)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Army Reserve Story

by BFilmFan In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

In keeping with Department of Defense policy on maintaining security, a user reported that his hard disk was no longer able to be read to be wiped. When the help desk called me for advice on how to handle the issue, I informed them policy required the hard disk to be destroyed and proof provided to the security officers.
So around 3 o'clock there was a request that I and one of the security officers stop by the motor pool.
Once at the pool, the user walked over with a plastic bag that was fileld with small bits of metal. Asking what this was, he replied, "That hard disk I called you about."
I asked, "What happened?"
He said, "Well you said to destroy it, so I had a tank run over it about 3 times."
I collected the bagged remains where they were later enshrined in a case on the director's wall as an example to not speak too literally to users....

Collapse -

That's classic

by trockii In reply to Army Reserve Story

I had things like that happen all the time while I was active duty with the Air Force. We take forgranted that they will know what we mean when we say "destroy" or "zerorize".

Collapse -

Nuclear secrets

by JamesRL In reply to That's classic

We used to physically destroy, but not with tanks.

It used to be a job for the night shift when they got bored, or any of us when we needed to vent.

We would take them apart, put on the safety glasses and smash platters. If you mix them with enough other platters and smash them thoroughly enough, no one can put them back. This is after using a wiping tool. You like to be thorough when nuclear information is involved.

James

Collapse -

Ahh, but....

by AcesKaraoke In reply to Nuclear secrets

If you're too thorough, how can you verify that it's the original hard drive platters?

Collapse -

Why would your need too

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Ahh, but....

When things like this are destroyed they are destroyed and not considered for anything else. Besides you are always under video surveillance when you are doing things like this.

Col

Collapse -

Didn't know that

by AcesKaraoke In reply to Why would your need too

Haven't been in the military and I didn't know about video surveillance, though it certainly makes sense.

I've probably been watching too many episodes of M*A*S*H, and thinking that it's an accurate representation of the military.

If I had been thinking, I would've realized that sensitive data in a secure area would be monitored and not left just on the honors system.

Forgive my naivete.

Collapse -

I have a great

by zlitocook In reply to Army Reserve Story

Way to destroy a drive, I work at a bank and had alot of drives that were special. Like ones that had two or three cables connected to them. There is no easy way to remove data from them. On day I was on the back lot with a two pound hammer bashing a hard drive. And a person from accounting was watching me and asked if she could take a few hits. And after that I get requests to destroy computer stuff every day. It makes them feel better.

Collapse -

A great fundraiser idea!

by xtrainer In reply to I have a great

I've seen old cars and pianos demolished at a dollar a bash. Next time you need an idea for a charity fund raiser, donate an old computer. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy taking a hammer to a PC!

Collapse -

I have seen a

by zlitocook In reply to A great fundraiser idea!

Few Japanese programs that do just that. They let the over worked people distroy computer stuff for a few yen and it blows off steam.

Collapse -

They also have dummies

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to I have seen a

In their lunch rooms that they can beat up as much as they like these dummies are supposed to represent the Boss and quite a few of them take a real battering.

Col

Back to Desktop Forum
297 total posts (Page 1 of 30)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next

Related Forums