File sharing between clients in domain 2003 environment

By teja2008 ·
Hi , i have a win 2003 domain with dns and dhcp integrated on it ;it has a network drive which the clients could access along the network . Now our manager wants to install a software on one of the clients and share a folder between the clients.
The clients logon locally though connected to domain 2003.
Now i need to share a folder between clients .
WHAT I DID AND ERRORS ENCOUNTERE enabled netbios over tcp/ip , tried to access the client from the server but it said :'you mught have the permission to access this computer and also network path not found .
i cant ping by the clients system name from server but can ping by ip .
is this a dns problem if yes how can i cirrect this error with out installing dns all over again.... your help is greatly apprecited thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

by Mehul Bhai In reply to File sharing between clie ...

Are your Client computers members of the Domain and Are your users using Domain User Accounts to login to the client Computers!!!???

Collapse -

they are members of domain

by teja2008 In reply to What!!!???

client computers are members of domain but they logon locally ...on their systems

Collapse -

then they aren't logging onto the domain

by CG IT In reply to they are members of domai ...

so to share a folder, simply share it while logged on as a local machine user. the everyone group is a default assigned to shares, so, everyone should be able to access the share after providing local machine credentials [that is you give everyone who will access the share, the local machine user account and password information that hosts the share].

accessing the share is \\ip address\share name

if you enabled netbios, you should build a hosts table if you want to use \\computer name\share

Active Directory, doesn't apply because users are not logging on to the domain, therefore no domain "anything" applies, except that the workstations happen to belong to one.

Collapse -

Yes you got it right

by teja2008 In reply to then they aren't logging ...

they are members of the same domain but they only logon locally. other thing i cannot ping from the server or workstations by their computer names. when i tried to access the workstations from server it said : you might not have permissions ....and also network path not found ...?? has it to do with after many attempts last friday i finally got an error saying there are no logon servers found for your request system mot accessible...

Collapse -

they are members of domain!!!???

by Mehul Bhai In reply to they are members of domai ...

Form what information you have given till now it seems that your client computer clients are not connected to or have not become member of the domain properly.
And another thing, even if you are having the client computers properly connected to domain and users logon locally or to the local machines' domain, then after enabling sharing in this login and giving required rights, you will not be able to access the shares from the other clients or server simply.
You will have to do the required sharing and rights after login into the client with a Domain User or Domain Admin.

Collapse -

dns would be the culprit

by teja2008 In reply to they are members of domai ...

i cannot ping worksations by their names from server. but they can ping to the domain name by name. how can i tst dns and set the records right on the dns server

Collapse -

forget DNS if all you want to do is access a shared folder

by CG IT In reply to dns would be the culprit

though the workstations might be members of a domain, logging on locally uses local machine credentials, not domain credentials. further, no domain settings are applied to the machine.

accessing shared folders on the workstation would be the same as if the workstations didn't belong to the domain. you use \\ip address\shared name and then share folder permissions apply [just like a workgroup]. you can use one local machine user account on the workstation that hosts the share that all use as credentials, or you can create a local machine user account for each user on the machine that hosts the share. But users who will access the share hosted on a workstation must have permission to 1. access the workstation over the network. 2. permission to access the share.

you can create a LM Hosts file for all workstations that is used for address to name resolution [don't recommend it but....]

The real question is: Why are you running Active Directory if you aren't using it? Would be easier by far simply to use Active Directory.

Collapse -

what does the error mean

by teja2008 In reply to forget DNS if all you wa ...

logon servers not available and also i cannot open the share folder from the server is this because they arent using domain credentials? now all i want to do is to enable share between them so i shall
create a guest account on the workstation and login from the network into the workstation using the guest credentials rt? or has it anything to do with policy management and permissions. (even if they logon locally)

Collapse -

why using the server for anything? forget the server you don't use it

by CG IT In reply to what does the error mean

your original question was: you create a share on a workstation, and everyone on the network needs to access that share, so what's up with trying to access it through server? No one uses it or Active Directory because no one logs on to it, they all log on locally...

so you have to make up your mind .. either everyone logs on to the server/Active Directory and use it, Active Directory to publish share folders to everyone,

... or forget it, and use simply file/folder sharing.

Collapse -

Maybe ftp?

by TobiF In reply to File sharing between clie ...

If you have problems with Windows-style file sharing, would ftp be an option?
I.e. set up an ftp server anywhere on the network on a host with static ip.
Then map this ftp server to a drive letter.

The approach has some limitations around locking files and that you always need to read or write the whole file. But if that's not a problem in your case, then you could have a quick win here, totally ignoring domains etc.

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)