General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

firewall in windows server 2003

by hunterzh ·

Now I really feel confused on firewall in windows server 2003. I have installed windows server 2003 on our company?s server. Now within our Intranet, we can send and receive mails through our mail server (POP3). This mail server is also on the same server 2003. Also I can visit the web sites which have been set up on this server.
    But from outside, for example, at my home, through broad band connection, I cannot access our mail server or web server. How shall I configure firewall to ensure users from our Extranet can access resources in our LAN, such as web site, mail server, FTP server?
    It is really difficult to ensure efficiency and safety in the meanwhile!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: firewall in windows server 2003

by acattr ·

In reply to firewall in windows server 2003

Your issue is not with windows server 2003. But with the firewall/router that gives your network internet access. You must logon to the router(the default gateway of all your machines) and set it to allow publishing of mail(ports 25,110) and web(port80) that are running on your 2003 server.

basically if ports 25,80, and 110 are published:
      servers ip is 192.168.1.2
      routers internal ip is 192.168.1.1
      routers extranal ip is 66.88.196.73

From home you set your webbrowser or email client to use 66.88.196.73, then your router will forward the request to your internal server at 192.168.1.2.

This whole concept is called NAT(network address translation) or more specifically PAT (Port Address Translation). Other terms you may find in your router are publishing, opening ports, port mapping, virtual servers.

Reply To: firewall in windows server 2003

by hunterzh ·

In reply to firewall in windows server 2003

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 1 reply thread