Fix for problems created by Update?
I recently did two updates (Windows update [manually – I am Windows 8.1] and MS Office 365 update [automatically via ‘Update Now’ within MS Office settings]) that created a host of problems including:
— Office hanging/”Not Responding”
— Office not recognizing printers (despite the fact all other programs can print no problem)
— And – most importantly to me – my entire system is much slower/jittery sometimes/freezes programs in use sometimes.
Here’s what I have already done:
1. Tried rolling back to several different restore points (I manually create a new restore point before any update/install I do on my computer). No fix.
2. Uninstalled then reinstalled Office. Twice. No fix.
3. Microsoft tech support – 3 “levels”. No fix. They are now pushing me to allow them Remote Access to my computer and/or sending them SFC log (see below), neither of which I am comfortable with from a privacy perspective. They even tried convincing me to “create a new Windows/login profile”, which would mean the *massive* amount of customization/tweaking I have done over the years would be lost.
4. Command prompt “sfc /scannow” Windows System File Checker. The results of this were “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log…………..”. This log is massively long and indecipherable to me.
5. Malware scans – I have run over half dozen and no malware detected.
My questions are:
1. Should I run Windows System File Checker in Safe Mode? Does that make a difference?
2. Any other suggestions?