General discussion

Forgot Windows 2000 Admin password.

By vhkadia ·
I Forgot my Windows 2000 Administrator password.
I want to change my Admin password. How Can I?

Please give me Full Details with if possiible tool.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by electric1971 In reply to Forgot Windows 2000 Admin ...

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
I have not tried this tool but found it on a search , i have a tool if i can locate it i will reply again with the URL

Collapse -

by vhkadia In reply to Forgot Windows 2000 Admin ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Vagab0nd In reply to Forgot Windows 2000 Admin ...

Well, there are numerous tools to do this, but best of them are not free. Just to name some:

1. ERD commander by Winternals.com - great tool that is an enchanced version of Recovery Console. May be written on bootable CD and provides you with a lot of abilities. One of them is changing password for any local user. Price is something about $150. You may also find cracked version in Internet, but you know it's not good to do so.
2. Locksmith by Winternals.com (these guys know what they do) - tool for changing admin password exclusevly, also not free.
3. L0pht crack - search www.astalavista.box.sk for it. Absolutely free, but it may take a long time to crack the password depending on complexity.

There can be found other tools, but these are the best.

Good luck,
Vagab0nd

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ninet4 In reply to Forgot Windows 2000 Admin ...

Well, I am going to tell you about a couple tools that the others have already mentioned. I have used them both and both are extremely easy to use. The first is a boot disk which boots a linux sheel to modify registry settings. If you have never used Linux before, don't worry because all you have to do is select the defaults for everything all the way up to changing the password. It allows you to change any local user account password, and you don't need to know it. The instructions for making the boot disk and running the utility can be found at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html. This utility is completely free, no gimmicks, no limitations.

The other is L0phtcrack. The current version is LC3 and you can get it from http://www.atstake.com. L0pht developed the best NT password carcking utility to date. If you have a large domain with very diverse users, it can be fun to see what strange passwords people use. It is a GUI driven program that is pretty strait forward. The unregistered version is limited to 30 days and can only perform the most basic of cracking techniques (dictionary attack) until is is registered. If you know where to look, you can find a crack to register it for you, in fact, I can send you that crack if you want it.

My professional opinion is to go with the free Linux utitlity. All you need to do is change the password, this will do it for you.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)